Friday, July 07, 2006

In which Anna gets under my skin

May I direct you to the always brilliant little.red.boat for a funny and poignant post on, shall we say, a sizeable issue. One close to my heart. And hips.

Apart from the evil NURRRSE JEAN! — pleased to say I've never experienced such a walking disaster in a healthcare situation — this all sounded painfully familiar. Lifelong natural roundedness? Check. Consistent surprise when actual weight is revealed? Check. Increased girth after falling happily in love? Check. Defiance? Check. Resentment at the very idea of having to stop enjoying food in the way I do? Check. Sense of failure as a feminist for caring too much? Check.

It would be ridiculous to say that not enough has been written on the subject of fat, but I don't think I've ever read anything that I felt came close to unpacking the huge* complexity of the issue. I'm particularly fascinated (and frequently distressed) by the lack of understanding of chubbies by non-chubbies. There is such a gulf between the Fattipuffs and Thinifers; skinnies just don't get it. I know. I live with one. And have spent much of the past nine years trying to bridge the gap, in the interests of not murdering him in his unsuspecting sleep one day.

Here it is. I have always been a curvy wench. I always will be a curvy wench. Having dieted myself into a low-carb, lightheaded frenzy a few years ago, I think I can safely say I know what I look like at my skinniest (bar actual anorexia or famine), and Skinny Scroobious still has soft bits. A teeny tiny little waist, yes, but a gently rounded belly, and well padded thighs. And, of course, my cups still runneth over, and we won't complain about that. I know the shape of my ideal self, and it's a pretty cool shape, but nowhere near the general fashion ideal. And the softness is impossible to budge — seems I will never be one of those people whose skin fits neatly over their muscles.**

Beloved, on the other hand, is naturally wiry. He's a born runner, he has tiny little bones and strong muscles; he is now chubbier than he has ever been in his life (seems even Thinnifers are not entirely immune to the dangers of being in love and well fed) but that little extra padding around his waist is still almost invisible to the untrained eye. So there are certain basic physical differences between us. The lightest I have ever been is about 2kg heavier than he has ever been or is likely to be.***

There are also, as you might expect, certain differences in our eating habits. I love food; I especially love creamy pasta, fresh bread and quantities of cheese, and all variations on chocolate and ice-cream. There's a special place in my heart for junk food. Salads bore me. I believe "yes please!" is always the right answer. You can see how I end up rounded.

Beloved enjoys food. He loves my cooking. But he doesn't fundamentally care. He's less critical, and conversely less appreciative, of meals than I am; when cooking himself, he tends to forget to add seasoning. He doesn't look forward to meals (except, obviously, when hungry). He would never fantasise about a perfect meal when planning a holiday, as I have been known to do. He doesn't ever want to eat something just because it's there (say, someone's birthday cake at the office). He is capable of that utterly alien problem, forgetting to eat; and then when he gets hungry, he will fill up on half a packet of chocolate digestives. When he lived alone in London, he was perfectly happy surviving on biscuits, peanut butter sandwiches and tinned ravioli.

Tinned ravioli.

The man is clearly a freak.

But here's the thing: this is not enough to explain the difference in our respective sizes. No. He starts each day with a huge bowl of sugary muesli; I eat a small bowl of sugarfree, wheatfree cornflakes.**** We eat dinner together, the same food, the same amount. We eat comparable lunches at work; actually his are frequently larger than mine. It's true that when he's home alone, he's more likely to forget lunch, but then I'm more likely to skip breakfast. There are times when I snack a lot, there are times when I don't. I generally get more exercise than he does. Even when I am on strict diet (it happens; not often, but it happens), and he's eating more than me, and exercising less — even then, he is skinny, and I am not.

Which is fine. That is how he is. This is how I am.

The problem is that, like most Thinifers, he doesn't understand what it is to like food maybe a bit more than he does, and to have maybe a slower metabolism, and most of all, he doesn't understand emotional eating, or how it feels to be fat.

Beloved is a very loving, caring, supportive chap. But he is sometimes quite astonishingly short on empathy. He means well; he just Does Not Get It. This applies to various situations, but most especially to the Question of Chub. In his skinny male brain, he thinks: She is fatter than she wants to be. (True.) It is possible to change this by diet and exercise. (True.) Therefore she wants to diet and exercise immediately. (Uh...) I can help by pointing out that she is fatter than she wants to be and that she really shouldn't have that chocolate she's reaching for. (NOW HOLD ON ONE DARN MINUTE!!!)

I know he's not alone in this failure to understand. Reading Anna's post, and the comments on it, it is painfully obvious that the world is full of clueless people. People who somehow believe (as Beloved tends to) that being fat is a sign of a disgusting lack of self-restraint. Now, I guess that attitude is no more unreasonable than my own ingrained (and obviously self-sabotaging and childish) belief that I should be able to eat WHATEVER I WANT SO THERE... but how is it that fat becomes so important in judging a person? How is it that a person's size becomes their defining characteristic? How is it that it becomes okay to judge them — even in Anna's comments, someone suggests that a fat person regularly eating at McDonald's is fair game.

It's enough to drive a person to the dessert trolley.

(Full disclosure: my latest diet started on Wednesday. Which may or may not have anything to do with my crabbiness on that day.)

_____
* No pun intended. Honest.
** This is a bit mystifying to me. Exercise makes my muscles rapidly very strong and hard, but there is always, always a soft layer over them; usually quite a thick fat duvet, as Bridget would say. Dieting reduces that layer, but doesn't erase it. My skin fits me loosely. That's just how it is.
*** And it does bother me, actually, to feel like Jack Spratt's wife. My boyfriends have (almost) all been around 10kg lighter than me. Ladies are supposed to be small and delicate. I do not dig this inversion.
**** Don't imagine this is me trying to be restrained. I just prefer the cornflakes, and can't eat a lot in the morning.

7 comments:

greg said...

Another excellent post. I completely get your point. I would, though, being a Fattipuff and all. Even at my thinnest, after years of cycling to school and back, and in full possession of a six-pack, no-one ever mistook me for a Thinnifer. Not much to be done, though, except shrug and get on with it. It's no less frustrating, though.

Anonymous said...

"he doesn't understand emotional eating"

Emotional eating... I like that phrase a lot.

ScroobiousScrivener said...

Well, thank you. I don't know about you, but I eat when I'm stressed, bored, happy, tired, nervous... "comfort eating" just doesn't begin to cover it!

And thanks Greg! I'll see you around. Shrugging.

Anonymous said...

Wow; well written, that woman ! That's pretty much exactly how I feel. How lovely to have someone put it into words.

Anonymous said...

Hey wow - This was an interesting post for a different reason. I'm the guy who can forget to eat, whereas beloved has a joy for food that I save for other things. Food for me isn't a persuit, it's a necessary thing, like sleep - it's great, but it enables you to do other things(although there are some people who enjoy sleep). I can have one big meal a day (I mean one BIG meal) and be fine until the next day.

But she enjoys a meal and willpower comes into it.

I am a Thinifer and sometimes lack the understanding. Typical post good meal snippet goes
Beloved: "Uhhh. I ate too much."
Me: "Why was that?"

Don't get me wrong, I do lack willpower. I can spend hours doing reading a book then think "I shouldn't have done that so much."

But not food. Thanks to your and Anna's post I understand it a bit more, which is good posts are at their best.

Anonymous said...

OMG! Someone else who remembers Fattipuffs and Thinifers! I think I read the book when I was about 8, having borrowed it from a friend at school, and I never, ever, ever laid hands on another copy. The closest I came was tantalising references in the back of other kids' lit. I was beginning to think I'd dreamed the whole thing.

To actually respond to your post... :> I fear I am, without significant conflict, able to vascillate randomly between adoring food, and cooking, and eating, and all appurtenances thereto, entirely for its own sake; and occasionally forgetting to eat. But, given that I spent my life until about my mid-20s being a Thinifer, and have subsequently, to my shock and confusion, developed hips, thighs and generally Fattipuff curves, I think I can safely say that I feel your pain.

ScroobiousScrivener said...

Cliff, if I have truly added a smidgen of understanding to a single Fattipuff/Thinifer relationship, I consider that a very good day's blogging indeed. Thanks.

I suspect that "willpower" doesn't quite cover it, actually. I think it's more about the story we tell ourselves about food. I might have to blog about this further. (See what happens when you people encourage me?)

Extemp, I never actually read the book but I do remember looking at it and being much entertained. And: it doesn't entirely surprise me that one can combine Fattipuff and Thinifer attributes in a single lifetime or, indeed, day. Again, it's about the story. Maybe you have more than one food story at work... or maybe I'm just making some crazy shit up, now.