Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Marketing: work of the devil*

I have a shiny new radio. I've been using it to listen to, among others: Xfm; Radio 4; Smooth FM; and Radio Jackie, "the sounds of south-west London", which - like Smooth FM - seem to consist mostly of 70s and 80s cheese. I'm nothing if not eclectic**.

Anyway. It's Radio Jackie that's the problem here. There's this one radio spot, see, for speedway racing. "The world's most exciting - and dangerous - sport!" it claims. Followed rapidly by: "Bring the kids!"

It's not that I'm unsympathetic to the urge to purge the world of anklebiters. I can see how a campaign to get them enthused about a life-threatening pastime might be deserving of my support. I'm just not quite sure that that is in fact the intention.
_____
* Sorry, Gersh
** Or perhaps we should just accept that my taste in music is even worse than my taste in TV. Ah well. At least Beloved shares the music problem. We probably shouldn't reproduce.

1 comment:

glo said...

Truly muddling thought. The speedway involves: 1) likely death or dismemberment, 2) toxic fumes, and 3) excessive alcohol consumption. Which of these is the MOST family-oriented activity?

That said, I would DIE to learn to race. I guess my parents gave into the hype too often. I even planned to be a pro-wrestler at one time, but I get too whoozy when hopped up on steroids.