Saturday, March 03, 2007

You never think it'll happen to you.

I have led such a protected, not to say wilfully deluded, life. Oh sure, I know about things like this. I've even seen it happen to my friends. They started out so sweet and perky, good clean-living types, full of wholesome fun. Just like me, really. Then, slowly, they'd start to change. They'd cancel dates, not show up at parties. They'd start to avoid my eye and mumble excuses if I ran into them. They lost their healthy glow... began to look a bit tired, a bit grey. Or at times, unnaturally bouncy, suspiciously exuberant.

So I can't say I never knew what was going on. I could see it clearly. I just thought... well, I thought I was different. I thought I wasn't that kind of girl, wouldn't succumb to those pressures. But in the last year or two, insidiously, things have changed. That sinister cloud has passed over my sun.

Even the words carry an ominous hiss.

Busy.

Busy with work.

I'd like to fight my way back from this. But frankly, I'm not sure I can. My old life is over.

It might be best for you if you just walk away. Don't let yourself get caught up in this stuff. Forget you ever knew me. Maybe, one day, I'll be back...

Edit: Right, I see that last line sounded overly final. I'm not shutting down, folks. I'm just not around much these days. I think you probably already noticed that.

Also, it should be said that I'm having a bundle of fun. Balance is... well, a challenge. But it is, as they say, All Good.

That's kinda the weird part. Busy - crushingly, stupidly busy - with work... and enjoying it. This is really unexpected.

7 comments:

Bill C said...

Best to you.

Irregardless.

Anonymous said...

Booooo...

(starts slow handclap)

Take care, genuinely, and don't let things get on top of you.

ScroobiousScrivener said...

Aw, thanks guys! But don't worry. I'm not quite drowning. (Yet.)

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. The nibble of the overwork bug is a familiar tickle on my skin. But it doesn't last forever. Excess is fine, if done in moderation :)

tristan said...

rest up ... then come back !

TotallyUn-Pc said...

work work work.... yeah we all know the feeling scrooby doo!

manage your time but don't stop the fun!

Anonymous said...

If large exhales of relief could be transmitted via comment, you'd be reading one.