Monday, February 19, 2007

Public service announcement

Any Saffers abroad who plan to get a forrun passport as soon as they can, read this:
You need to apply to retain your SA citizenship, before you apply for your shiny new one.

As I read it, it's not a big deal, you are allowed to hold multiple passports (just not to use your foreign one within SA) - but if you don't get your retention thingy in time you could be stripped of SA citizenship.

They don't exactly make this info easy to find, which is why I'm putting it here (for benefit of my 2 readers). Thanks to Greg for letting me know. Spread the word.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, that's weird. Looks like a case of over-eager bureaucracy to me

I know you used to need this sort of letter to hold two passports.

But then there was a supreme court ruling that did away with it - given that the Constitution guarantees that ZA citizens cannot be deprived of their citizenship.

So fill in the silly forms by all means, but be aware that the law this bureaucratic practice is being based on may in fact have been superseded.

I applied for my renewal about 18 months ago on the continent, and wasn't asked to produce any letter (though I did need to fill out a citizenship form which the official admitted wasn't relevant, despite its being part of the bureaucratic procedure).

Adamastor

Anonymous said...

I love the blog that you have. I was wondering if you would link my blog to yours and in return I would do the same for your blog. If you want to, my site name is American Legends and the URL is:

www.americanlegends.info

If you want to do this just go to my blog and in one of the comments just write your blog name and the URL and I will add it to my site.

Thanks,
David