Friday, August 08, 2008

Caution: spiders inside

You know when you think you know something and then years later you find out you had it all wrong? And that's really annoying and sometimes embarrassing? Well, I had one of those moments yesterday, except instead of being embarrassing it was DISGUSTING and totally FREAKED ME OUT.

It's like this.

Cape Town is home to these wonderful things called rain spiders, also frequently called baboon spiders. They are huge (like, saucer sized), ugly, common, and revolting. And harmless. So you encounter them, you deal with them, you take a really long shower and tell everyone about your gross spider experience, and that's that.

In my case, sometimes you encounter them, you get your non-arachnophobic mother to deal with them, and then you suffer while she plays practical jokes on you involving letting the spider loose again and not telling you where, because ha ha, aren't you a wimp, they're so harmless and actually quite cool.

Through bloggity chance yesterday, however, I found myself doing a little fact checking online. Huh.

Turns out, rain spiders look like this.


Which is odd, because the ones I've so frequently encountered - and been tormented with - look like this.



They are in fact baboon spiders. Which, common usage notwithstanding, are a different sort of beast entirely. And maybe not quite harmless. Not lethal... but "aggressive". They jump, people tell me. And bite. And make you sick.

Some conclusions:
1. My mother is an EVIL COW.

2. I am unusually unlucky to have always, always encountered the nastier kind of spider, while everyone else I've spoken to since discovering this confusion had the correct idea about rain spiders all along.

3. I suppose I should really be very grateful that I didn't know my mistake at those times when I was dealing with the bloody things. That time when one fell out of my trousers just as I was about to put them on, for instance, landing between me and the door. Or the time when I woke up and saw one on the ceiling directly above me, and there was no one else in the house to deal with it. Yup... just as well I didn't know then that they were aggressive, jumpy, and venomous.

PS. Beloved has been so rude as to doubt my story. He has never seen a baboon spider in Cape Town, therefore he believes my memory is at fault. He is, of course, completely wrong, and this article backs me up - baboon spiders a-plenty in Cape Town. This article also points out, casually, that outside Africa, these little treasures are known as TARANTULAS.

6 comments:

jill said...

Aggressive, jumpy, venomous, and look like they crawled out of a Buffy episode!!!

Euuuughhhhnnnnggghhh.......

::shudder::

jill said...

And yes, your mum is an EVIL COW.

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of rain spiders, but I have encountered baboon spiders (i.e. the thing in the lower picture). For some reason I was under the (now apparently mistaken) impression that baboon spiders were harmless. Big and hairy, but harmless. Venom! Sheesh. All I can think is whoever passed the information on to me may well have confused rain and baboon spiders themselves. (I don't recall ever bothering to research baboon spiders myself.)

I'm thinking some fairly rude things about your mother.

kadekraan

ThePurpleOwl said...

BWAAAH! Note to self: read post title first. Just when I thought it was safe to turn off my editor attention-to-detail on a Saturday afternoon... I get spiders in the face and nearly spill my coffee down my front.

Those are *nasty* looking spiders. Shudder. There's nothing funny when it comes to them. Boo to your mum.

We Aussies have some 'fun' spiders too. I once put on my trusty Docs and sat down to wait for my family to be ready to go out... and felt a tickling on my toes. Turns out there was a bloody big huntsman in my boot. There was much dramatic throwing of said boot and squealing. I don't care if the bloody thing's not poisonous - it's big and hairy and has eight legs and it SHOULD NOT be in my boot.

Have checked my shoes before donning ever since.

Clovergirl said...

*gulp*
*cancels visit to Capetown*

Anonymous said...

Similar to kadekraan:
* hadn't heard of rain spiders;
* have met baboon spiders in SA;
* thought baboon spiders were mostly harmless (mild bite at worst, which is not what the articles say);
* didn't bother to research baboon spiders until now.

Didn't know baboon spiders were a type of tarantula. Didn't know tarantulas aren't actually deadly. Still don't want one crawling on my skin.

Have possibly met rain spiders and just thought they were skinny baboon spiders.

Have now found reference to at least one kind of rain spider with venom "no worse than a bee sting", which in my book is still something to avoid.

Am thinking it would have served your mother right if a baboon spider had bitten her while she was hiding it for your "amusement".