Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Aw, shucks, you guys!

Thanks for all the good wishes, folks. They freak me out a bit* but I really appreciate it.

Some answers, to questions both asked (here and elsewhere) and unasked.
1. Yes, we really are happy, despite the footnote.
2. No, we didn't exactly expect this. At least not right now. I have been duped by the media! That whole "trying" lark is a total myth!
3. See 1.
4. March. It's very new. No, I haven't been keeping secrets (not for more than a week anyway).
5. There is no such thing as too many knitted baby things.
6. More than one test to go on? You'd be surprised. The doctor laughed at me when I begged her to confirm. "No no!" she said. "The tests we use are just the same! No more accurate! You say you're pregnant and I believe you!" I mean REALLY what is the NHS coming to? Taking a patient's word for it? Ludicrous, absolutely ludicrous. The tests the doctors use are better because they are DONE BY DOCTORS. I don't know how to do a test! Ludicrous.
7. ...My body still seems to think it might be pregnant, though, so we're assuming the worst. I mean best. Assuming the best.
8. No, I haven't forgotten my long-held belief that babies are alien parasites, nor have I changed my mind. It's *my* alien parasite though.
9. No morning sickness** so far, but apparently the hormonal stupidity*** is already kicking in. See 8.
10. I didn't do it for the knitting (that's just a bonus). I did it for the cuteness of the skiing toddler. Man, that's enough reason all on its own.
11. I really, really, really don't plan to turn this into a pregnancy blog.

Ok that's all the questions dealt with. Just one more thing: thank you all, again, very much. I'm pretty terrified. And pretty scared of drifting apart from some of my very lovely friends. It would be very nice if that didn't have to happen. Please thank you.

_____
* I still don't really understand why I'm happy about this, why should you be? What's the big deal about babies anyway? They smell, they're noisy, and the world has enough of them. I mean, obviously my genes are great and all - Beloved's too - but is that enough reason to get excited about my spawn? You're weird.
** Which is reportedly a misnomer as it can strike any time of day, but usually when you've not eaten for a while. As Lucy said, "That explains why you're not getting it."
*** To those who've already sprogged: I am applying a very specific definition of "stupidity". Hormonally induced brain impairment is the only possible explanation for the fact that people have been known to have more than one baby, despite having gone through pregnancy/childbirth and knowing what it entails. Doesn't affect brain function in any other area, though.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hee, I totally agree with your "mind-controlling parasite" idea. Strangely, though, your announcement has made me broody. I go through phases of "omg, I neeed a baby" and then "ew, yuck, give me cats!" that normally last a year or two. I seem to be hitting a "babies! now!!" phase. It seems the thing to do. I don't think it helps that most of my friends are 2-3 years older than I am, so at a more appropriate age for spawning. I'll just have to cuddle w_n's extra hard on Sunday to quell the broodiness. One evening of babysitting those two is enough to send me back into a "kitties, please" phase :P.

Um, I just realised that might sound like they're horrible, but not so! They are extra adorable and as such you need a lot less of them to sate the appetite. Also, they vomit. Often. On me. But the toes make up for it. Ask w_n, they grow back.

patroclus said...

Ooh blimey, I'm so late to the fray! But hee, join the club! Congratulations to you both! Hope all goes well and that the morning sickness doesn't ever kick in (and if it does, that it goes away quickly). Congrats again!

Anonymous said...

:D Yes, f_f, it did sound as if they're awful. I know better, however.

It's true, scroob, babies do smell. Not all of the time, though. Mine do throw up on f_f. Quite a lot. Granted, A dribbles on everyone, but K saves it up specially for her.

They are noisy, too. They gurgle and snuffle and chortle and coo. Terrible, really.