Thursday, July 03, 2008

*fretfretfret*

Esteemed Father called me a week ago. Now, I am told that it's always immediately apparent when I'm talking to him, because my side of the conversation inevitably goes: "Oh no... oh dear... how awful... oh, no..." etc. On this occasion one of the dramas (there are always multiple dramas) involved important travel documents. Viz:

He has recently had to apply for right to remain in the UK. He has been awarded said right. Hurrah! But in returning his application, the Home Office appears to have lost his and his partner's passports. They sent back a checklist of included documents, which featured "2 x passports". There were no passports. But the checklist does not lie, says Home Office! So here begins a fun bureaucratic loop:
To issue a new or temporary passpot, SA Home Affairs want a police report that the old one was lost.
To issue a report, the police want a letter from the UK Home Office that they lost it.
Home Office say no! We did not lose it! The checklist Does Not Lie!

Oh no, oh dear, how awful, etc.

Plus, enter worrying thought stage left: hm, the Home Office have had my own and Beloved's passports for a while now (applying for EEA right to remain thingy). Better check up on that. Sposed to be travelling in August and all.

Turns out, the Home Office processing times have slowed down dramatically since last time I dealt with them. They refuse to give progress reports, or even acknowledge receipt of your application, until 14 weeks after submission. (Which is at least two weeks too late for my travel plans.) Applications *may* take up to 6 months. If you need your passport urgently, you're allowed to call and ask for it (assuming you can get through - it's one of those always-busy numbers where they don't actually let you hold, you either get through or you don't), which may take up to 10 working days.

I would feel a lot better if I at least had proof they'd received my application. Which I should have, since I handed it to Beloved to post via special delivery. And I am sure he did send it special delivery. However, I don't seem to have the tracking slip. I might have noticed this sooner if it weren't for the fact that I do quite a lot of posting (that's ironic understatement, there) and have quite a lot of tracking slips. Just not the really vital one.

So, as a back-up plan, I look at SA Home Affairs to see how they feel about temporary passports and the like. And I notice two things.

1) "DUE TO CURRENT REGULATION BY UK AUTHORITIES, NO TEMPORARY PASSPORT WILL BE ISSUED TO SA CITIZENS FOR ENTRY PURPOSES TO THE UK. TEMPORARY PASSPORTS WILL BE ISSUED ONLY TO HOLDERS OF DUAL CITIZENSHIP."
Wow. Brutal.

2) Requirements include "2X certified copy of valid British Visa." Huh. Given that visas tend to be stamped into one's passport, how exactly is one supposed to provide this if one's passport has been lost, damaged or destroyed, which are the usual grounds for seeking a temporary passport?

It's all academic anyway. A more pertinent requirement is that police report, which I'm not going to get on grounds of "the Home Office has my passport I think but they won't tell me". So I must just wait patiently 3 more weeks and then write to them demanding my passport back. Oh this is going to be such fun.

1 comment:

jill said...

This is why people hate government bureaucrats (why, oh why does it always take five tries for me to spell that word?) more than almost anything.

::Patpat::

At least you're on the case now - I probably would have flaked until mere days before my travel.