Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I've seen food from both sides now

Okay, bear with me, this is sort of a pregnancy post. Sorry. But not really. This is actually about how this alien parasite has enabled me to see something from the other side. And it's fascinating. (To me.) So I'm going to tell you all about it. Read it, don't read it...

You may recall my little fattypuffs vs thinifers rant. A precis: I believe that chubsters have a fundamentally different experience of food to skinnies, and as a result skinnies are incapable of understanding why it is that we should have such trouble dieting, etc. Now I believe I have Incontrovertible Proof! that it is so. Because the alien parasite is making me, temporarily and sadly invisibly, a thinifer.

It's like this. Hormones, not-just-morning sickness, yada yada - I will try not to bore you with too many details, but you see, I've lost my appetite. That's only partly because of the nausea; some of the time, like most of today, I don't actually feel sick. But I still don't want to eat. It's not just that I'm not hungry; something has switched off. Food has lost the fun factor. And no, it doesn't taste different. (Apparently for lots of pregnant women, tastes do change, but so far, not for me.) Everything still tastes fine, I am capable of thinking in a detached sort of way that something tastes good and is quite enjoyable... but something is missing. Look, consider this: I don't want chocolate. Do you begin to comprehend the vastness of this change? Yesterday I found myself thinking I wanted a chocolate, while at the same time I was perfectly aware that I didn't really, I wouldn't enjoy it if I had one. What I wanted was the satisfaction which I normally get from chocolate, but which is now gone. (Try to imagine the horror.)

And that's what got me thinking. I suspect, for thinifers... every day is like this. Less extreme, because of the total lack of nausea and the presence of hunger, but with that same disconnect between food-as-fuel and food-as-fun. If this were my normal state, I too would hotly deny any accusations that I "just don't understand", because after all, I still have tastebuds! Mmmm, yummy pizza! I get that - but I can stop! Why would you want another piece when you're not hungry any more?

It really is completely different, and it really must be a body chemistry thing. Living like this, you would eat when you're hungry (and mildly enjoy it); you would even sometimes eat when you're not really hungry, on social occasions, or because chocolates really are delicious. But you wouldn't experience the desire to do that very often, because frankly, putting food in your mouth when you don't want it is pretty damn repellent.*

Like this, food is like taking a shower. You need it regularly, and yes, it's really enjoyable, and sometimes you might indulge in an extra-long shower just because it feels so nice; but nobody was ever in danger of overshowering.

The way I used to be - and hope I will be again - food is much more like sex. Not literally. I don't gasp and moan over chocolate brownies (well, not often). But it definitely pushes some or other pleasure buttons in the limbic centre that right now are out of reach. It satisfies something that has nothing to do with hunger, and frankly, although it makes me happy, in itself it has nothing to do with psychological comfort seeking either.

Fattypuffs get pleasure out of food. Thinifers merely get enjoyment. It's a physical difference, and you know? Now I really feel sorry for thinifers. Because they're missing so much.

PS With this in mind - I've just stumbled across the Shangri La Diet, and putting aside for now (PLEASE) all questions of whether or not it works, is healthy, etc, the question is: would I want it to work? It sounds an awful lot like it might just have the same effect as what I've described above - not so much reducing appetite, as taking away that pleasure response. Would I want to be naturally thin and healthy and still enjoy food... but not enjoy it the way I am used to? I honestly can't say.

_____
* Nature has a mean sense of humour. The best way to stave off all-day sickness is to snack constantly. The last thing you want to do.

11 comments:

jill said...

Eek - I am sorry that little Para is making you so food-meh.

As an ancillary note to your previous rant and this post, I too married someone who tends toward leanness and is a natural jock. He loves food, however (they'd have to take away his Italian card if he didn't truly love food, you know). All well and good, he likes my body curvy, etc. to the point where at one point I was beginning to lose weight and he said, "Don't lose your curves!" in a very alarmed tone, and I had to go and dig out a photo of me at my thinnest to prove to him, "Hon - that just ain't possible."

Here's the deal, though - I'm delighted he loves my curves. It's nice that he supports me in being healthy as opposed to being skinny (running - good. starving - not good).

But any time I mention the size I am, no matter how innocuous it is - e.g. "Oh, I guess I need this in a bigger size," without any angst - he says almost reflexively, "You're fine. I like your curves."

It gets a bit... well, irritating. It's not quite patronizing, it's not quite reassuring, it's not quite... anything.

Sorry for off-topic ranting.

Unknown said...

So, no rock shandies a go-go?
XXiii

ScroobiousScrivener said...

Hey, I may have no appetite, but I'm hella thirsty. Definitely rock shandies a-go-go.

Anonymous said...

Hopefully you'll wake up one morning in a few weeks and feel the glorious feeling of HUNGRINESS. I actually had a similar experience. The only thing vaguely appealing was citrus. Marmalade helped the toast go down, and mmm, fresh oranges.

Hang in there :)
everymoment

Anonymous said...

Funny thing. I'm probly what you're calling a thinifer, but actually I do *love* food. I used to be a chocoholic before I discovered sugar and wheat cause my veryuncomfortable eczema. So where I used to be well in favour of the "inelegant sufficiency" now I have the same reaction you have (but no bebeh :-)) - *Ooooh*, Chocolate! Oh, okay, best I don't eat it - would be nice, but, naaah, some other time.
Admittedly I've transferred some of that onto Potato! (yah, there's no logic in the world) but something that I figured in the process was that the "love" I was getting out of chocolate - that warm, rich, loved, special feeling - was something about treating myself - chocolate is so easily to hand, but with a bit of a stretch of the imagination, I've found a list of things that love me just as much as chocolate ... or maybe *almost* as much :D

ScroobiousScrivener said...

Nope, you're a fattypuff. (er, sorry?!) The distinction isn't based on body size so much as attitude to food, and you're definitely One Of Us.

I think you're now forgoing chocolate because you know it won't do you good, but you still want it (at least, you still have that "ooh chocolate!" reaction); I really, really don't. Bizarre!

I told Beloved about my Astounding Insight and he said "... so you're saying food is a drug?" Which is basically what it is. Some people react to that drug and some don't, but it is that sort of reaction, albeit in a mild form. Obviously if food *does* act on you in that way, then it's much easier to form psychological associations like chocolate=love, and so to develop all kinds of food issues. But I'm pretty convinced now that it's ot *just* about the psych issues. It's abouta fundamentally different physical experience.

Anonymous said...

Marvellous post...and goes someway towards explaining the almost orgasmic noises you get from my group of friends when we get together for true treat of a meal.

X said...

A little late, but congratulations! Wish you the best with the baby stuff.

---X

patroclus said...

Hm, that is interesting. I've never had that 'food-as-drug' thing, in fact I wasn't even aware that it existed. The only reasons I'll eat are a) if I'm hungry and b) if I'm bored. I must get my endorphin highs from other things.

That said, when I had morning sickness, I was constantly stuffing myself with revolting stuff like sardines and Branston pickle sandwiches in a bid to stave it off. Which only sort of worked...bleurgh. Hope you're not suffering too badly.

glo said...

I agree. Wholeheartedly. There's just something innately different. And I quite like being a fattypuff. It sounds so soft and sleep-in type of pleasant.

swisslet said...

Congratulations... you've been voted Post of the Week. There's no prize as such - other than the tremendous honour, of course - but you are warmly invited to take part in the judging process at a time of your choosing. See here for more details.....

Well done again. Richly deserved.

ST