Saturday, April 22, 2006

Brave new world

Last night Beloved's beloved died. The other woman, obviously, being his iMac. The one he leaves me alone in bed for. Well, my rival, she dead. (I didn't do it. Honest.) No warning. No explanation. Just quietly expired. It is an ex-Mac. It has ceased to be. It has gone to meet its maker. (Except Steve Jobs is still alive, isn't he, so that doesn't quite work.)

Major stress induction here. Not only is this, well, his one true mechanical love, but he had scheduled a rather packed weekend of working on my website (all rather urgent stuff). And I had scheduled a rather packed weekend of freelancing (all rather urgent stuff). Cue visions of the two of us fighting over my PC, wailing at each other to work faster, etc.

Also cue great anxiety over the larger question of dealing with the iMac's untimely demise. How to rescue data? How to replace iMac? Computer purchase is, after all, a major investment requiring weeks of intensive research, financial juggling etc.

Or maybe not.

He's just popped off to the discount Apple Centre up the road (handy, that) to get himself a shiny new laptop. Well, he wanted one anyway. And he's paying cash.

Conclusions:

1) I really, really, really like having a husband in (very) gainful employment.
2) Stress is a great way to concentrate the mind. Considering how hard it was to get him to choose a simple cellphone, this should have been much harder. Let's hear it for stress.

6 comments:

Bill C said...

Nothing justifies its own existence (and purchase) quite like a shiny new laptop.

[Not sure that made sense but you get the idea, yes?]

ScroobiousScrivener said...

Oh yes. It makes *perfect* sense.

My own shiny new laptop should be on its way within a few weeks. (Time delay owing to exciting financial scamming involved.) Oooh, the anticipation...

omar said...

Which model laptop?! Details, scroob. Details!

ScroobiousScrivener said...

Beloved's: silver, slim, shiny. It has an apple on it.

Mine: bigger, blacker. Less sexy, more powerful. No apple.

*sigh* That's not going to keep you quiet, is it? Apparently it's a MacBook Pro 1.83GHz Intel core duo processor. I hope that means something to you. It came in a funky box. And it has a remote control. That means something to me.

You'll have to wait till mine arrives for details on that. I've completely forgotten almost everything about it except that it has a 3.something processor speed and a 17" screen. Oh, and a lousy 2hr battery life, but that's the price you pay for Power.

omar said...

It most certainly does mean something to me. I was just at the local Apple store yesterday coveting one of those MacBook Pros...

ScroobiousScrivener said...

I can tell you it is highly covetable. Not only is it slim and sexy and shiny, it does amazingly cool stuff. Especially with photos, which is what he's been working on all weekend. Beloved hasn't looked this pleased with himself since... well, since my birthday, actually. But trust me, that's *very* pleased.