Tuesday, August 22, 2006

SGScot: Culture and cuisine

It’s not all blue Mel Gibson and sword-waving Christopher Lambert, you know. Nor is it all men in skirts. Or a good walk spoiled. Nor it is all about whisky.

Okay, maybe it is quite a lot about whisky.

Once again, though, I’m forced to confess that we weren’t on a cultural trip. We were on an active trip. (Supposedly.) So I can gently suggest that you might want to go to the pub for a bit of jolly dancing, or taste the glories of the Edinburgh Festival, or investigate the country’s Viking history by visiting some of the many museums. Or even help Patroclus with her Pictish project. But I can’t really TELL you about any of those things.

Sorry.

The food, though, the food were lovely. Admittedly, after a series of UK breaks where our enthusiasm for the trip was gradually (or not so gradually) worn down by a series of horrible meals,* my standards weren't that high. Still, I think you'll find Scotland can offer some properly Good Eatin'. Best for carnivores, I reckon. Meal choices tend to run to the dead-flesh-and-two-veg side of things, but it is such tasty dead flesh. Often smothered in whisky cream. Mmmmm.

And of course there's the infamous Chieftain o' the Pudding Race: haggis. No. No, I didn't. No, I don't plan to. Just as I see no reason to ever try mopane worms. Some things are just wrong. When it comes to traditional Scottish foodstuffs, I'll stick to shortcake, thank you. Lots of shortcake. Piles of it. Mmmmmm.

_____
* Worst offender: Wales. Don't believe anything they tell you about marvellous fresh Welsh produce, lovely farm cooking, etc. It were nasty. Very nasty.

3 comments:

Smat said...

did you get as far north as Baxters (the soup people)? They have a fabulous restaurant with the world's most incredible pancakes. Honestly, makes it worth going back home and spending time with my mother.
Ooh, you're making me homesick.
(plus, did you know you can buy huge bags of cheap shortbread from the Walkers factory?)

wv: gzogzog - so needs a witty comment but I don't do those unfortunately - anyone else can make free with it.

ScroobiousScrivener said...

We made it all the way up to John O'Groats but somehow failed to encounter The Soup People. However, Scotland so impressed us that we're already planning our return, so more details of this glorious provider of pancakes would be most welcome. Also, where is this Walkers factory? Also, how can I trick Beloved into taking me there? "No no darling, I don't want shortcake at all, it's for... it's for... Oh! Petticoat tails are made from *actual petticoats*! It's a lingerie factory! With models! Yes! Let's go check out the lingerie models at Walkers!"

(It's only fair I should be making somebody homesick. People keep making me homesick too. Funny how talk of food will do that.)

Gzogzog: ...drawing blank... *sigh* I hand in my wordplay licence in disgust.

Smat said...

Walkers of Aberlour at www.walkersshortbread.com
And I've just seen they make biscuits for Weightwatchers. Can't get my head round that one at all - losing weight by eating baked fat and flour?