Friday, April 27, 2007

It's like exercise, only different.

So having put my running programme on hold for the past three months (for very sound and hormonal* reasons), I'm now back in the takkies** and, well, it is hard. Obviously. But still we try.

The thing is this. I quite like exercising to music; in theory it should totally beat the boredom of running the same route again and again. And I have acquired very nifty headphones for my nifty music-bearing phone, thus solving the earbud-fall-out problem. But as you probably know, exercising to music at the wrong beat is... confusing, and not very helpful. And I do seem to be struggling to find the right beat. I'm not a fast runner. But that's not the main problem. There's a few Goldfrapp tracks at about the right speed. (Look, I SAID I wasn't fast!) But still I can't quite get the rhythm. There I was, pounding the pavements (in a gentle, leisurely fashion), and I wasn't exactly hitting the groove.

Took me a while to figure out the problem. (Again: I'm not FAST. How many times must I say this?) I have a good steady breathing pattern. Three steps in, three steps out.

Any dance acts out there bringing back the waltz?

_____
* No, not as in "I was too moody to bother", thank you very much.
** Running shoes

3 comments:

X said...

Artful Dodger's Think About Me is in a cool 6/8 time signature, but I'm not entirely sure if it's appropriate running music.

The Stranglers' Golden Brown is 6/8, but there's a bar in the instrumental hook where it switches to 7/8 and then back. Maybe you could hop a little at that part to make up for it. Alternatively, you could use Jamelia's No More, which samples Golden Brown and cuts out the 7/8 bar in the sampled loop, but be warned — as a song, it's a bit annoying.

Alicia Keys' Fallin' is 6/8, but again, possibly inappropriate running music. Nelly Furtado's Showtime is 6/8 and an awesome song, but once more, not really running music. Musiq Soulchild's Halfcrazy is also 6/8, and is a super-awesome song.

Hope that helps.

---X

omar said...

Let's see...

sound hormonal reasons...
three months = one trimester...

I know I haven't been around much here lately, but did I miss an important announcement?

ScroobiousScrivener said...

Good goddess no, Omar, nothing so dramatic. I shoulda realised people's minds would go there as soon as I said "hormones". Eep. No.

Thanks for the hot tips, X! Will check them out forthwith. Golden Brown isn't quite the rhythm for me, and I am so very much NOT an Alicia Keyes fan, but we'll see about the rest.