Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Oh, hang on, now

I would like the record to show that, despite my recent panegyric to a shiny house, I do NOT find housework empowering*.

It's true I find I feel "happier and more in control of my life" when my home is clean and tidy. But then, so does Beloved. (Who is male. Just so we're clear.) It's hard to feel in control when you can't see the surface of your desk and there are no clean socks in the house. But that's the end result, see. The actual vacuuming? Not so much. The only way I can imagine housework making me feel empowered is if I were paying someone else to do it.

But then again, no sensible person would trust an article that contains the line: "The one thing that gives the majority a sense of empowerment is a good go around the house with the vacuum cleaner — followed by some cleaning and dusting." What kind of crazy person would do the dusting after the vacuuming?

_____
* Link to Gendergeek, not the original article, because (a) The Indie wants you to pay to read it, and (b) Gendergeek makes the very excellent point that actually it's all just puffery for a TV show.

2 comments:

greg said...

What kind of crazy person would do the dusting after the vacuuming?

*waves*

The logic being, vacuuming throws up dust, which settles on surfaces, making them look all pale and gritty. So dust after vacuuming. Ideally, you'd dust both before (to transfer dust from surfaces to floor) and after, but who has the time or inclination?

Now that we have a decent vacuum cleaner, though, we have reverted to the norm, as floor dust gets trapped in the very effective filter and doesn't fill the room like it used to.

ScroobiousScrivener said...

Huh. I guess I see the logic, but I think: start at the top, dust goes down to floor, vacuum. A person could get stuck in a neverending spiral, your way.

I should point out that I did three phases of vacuuming in this springclean... but only one of dusting.