Thursday, May 18, 2006

A ridiculously long and inconclusive post. I wouldn't bother if I were you.

I keep hearing that women don’t blog. Funny, I think, casting an eye over my blogroll. I’m pretty sure they’re not just pretending to be women. Definitely sure I’m not. Some people even say women blog more than men.*

When I first heard that — which was also when I was new to blogging — I thought, but of course. Makes sense. Blogging is communication, and women are known to rather dig communication. So I was quite confused to later hear all the “women don’t blog” statements. So I thought about it a bit, and formed some wholly unscientific conclusions, based on wildly generalised and contentious assumptions about gendered behaviour that are sure to upset somebody. Shall we begin?

Hopelessly Sexist Axiom 1:
Women dig communication. This is a truth universally acknowledged, though expressed in various ways, from “girls just love to gossip” to “wimmin’s empathy and communication skills are proof of their innate superiority”.

HSA 2:
Women are frequently disinclined to spend large amounts of time on complicated technology. Now, please note what I am not saying. I am not saying: “women don’t get tech”. I am not saying: “women aren’t interested”. I am definitely not saying: “women are dumb”. All I am saying is that most women do generally prefer their tech to be simple, straightforward, easy to use and with an obvious point to it. This is of course far more contentious than #1 and it is far easier to point to the exceptions, but I stand by this statement, largely because of

HSA #3:
Women are busy. By and large, we do more housework; we do more caring for children and elderly parents; we have all kinds of unpaid, often unconsidered demands on our time. (Not to mention the very time-consuming demands of grooming the female body into a socially acceptable form – but that’s a whole other post.)

So by and large, we don’t want to waste time figuring out how to work something that may or may not prove useful and/or fun; we want to first know what it can do for us, and second, we want it to do that with the minimum of foreplay. As it were. I do know women who will happily tinker about with something of dubious function for weeks on end, just to see what it does, but for every one of them, I know 10 men like that, and 10 women saying “show me when it’s working”.

HSA #4:
A lot of what keeps women busy, keeps them isolated, as any mother of small kids will tell you. I don’t think I need elaborate on this; it’s pretty self-explanatory.

So: women discover Blogspot and Livejournal, weep tears of joy because they can now engage with the world on their own terms, in whatever small bites of free time they have available, and it is easy as pie to do so. No fiddling about unless you want to. Blogs offer the full gamut of communication, from idle gossip to high-level discussion of Serious World Affairs. The toddler-imprisoned mum can connect with others similarly oppressed, or remind herself she has a brain by taking part in far more high-brow conversations.***

So: “Where are all the women bloggers?

Or rather:
“Where are all the women who should be blogging Big Important Opinions on Big Important Subjects on Big High-Profile Sites?”
...and the closely related, but fairer:
"“Why aren't the Big Important Women Bloggers Getting More Attention?"

Let’s unpack this even further. Sorry, it’s terribly old hat, but it must be asked: Who decides what is important, and who decides what sites are the ones that “count”?

I’ve read a squillion posts — far too many to track down and link, but you can start with Bora, above — on the complicated subject of power in the blogosphere, and how it emulates power (and patriarchy) in the “real” world, and whether or not this is inevitable, problematic, or even true. A lot of this conversation is very interesting, complex and (occasionally) important, which is why I won’t reprise it here. Further reading recommended.

I'm supposed to be offering some conclusions, aren't I? Not sure I'm up to that, now it comes to it. Let's try some unsound opinions and uncomfortable arguments instead.

One. Just as modelling and prostitution are the two industries where women are reliably on top, the most famous female bloggers are – quelle surprise – those who write about sex, more or less directly, or who at least suggest sexiness. “Women Only Interesting to Men in Salacious Contexts!” shock.

Two. It’s really very easy to demonstrate that there are a vast number of female bloggers out there, writing about everything from gender issues to knitting to politics to celeb gossip to family life to, y’know, STUFF, just like male bloggers, and many of these blogs are pretty big business. So what exactly is this “no women blogger” crap?

Three. (I can see the comments already.) A provocative question: is it possible that women’s blogs are marginalised because women actually have a broader range of interests than men? Hence, women are more likely to participate in male-run blogs on Big Serious Issues than men are to participate in female-run blogs on “women’s interests” — meaning twice the traffic and googlejuice for men’s blogs.****

Four. How much does it actually matter? Given that (a) women are clearly having a blast online, even if they’re not getting the recognition they possibly deserve, and (b) as we keep forgetting, nobody really cares about blogs anyway.*****

Well. So far it has taken me two days to get this far in writing this post, and I haven’t even started inserting the links. I don’t think I ever had an actual argument, just a collection of half-formed thoughts, and after two days of splicing grrrlblogging in between commercial property news, it’s not getting any easier to roll those thoughts into any form of conclusion.

So. Um. If you’re still here, I think it’s your turn now. You probably think you know what I’m trying to say, even if I don't, and why it’s all wrong. One, two, three… go.

_____
* Though as some other people point out, this could be misleading, since it doesn’t include blogs hosted on independent servers. Which probably means it excludes the dominant blogs, which, arguably**, are male-dominated.
** As in, I’ll argue with you if you deny it.
*** No link here. I know there are such blogs around, but studiously ignore them. Sorry.
**** I warned you this was unscientific.
***** Of course, blogs are hugely influential among bloggers, and there are a lot of bloggers. It’s just as reasonable to argue that nobody cares about journalism, except for those who happen to read newspapers. Lots of people don’t. But do newspaper readers have a disproportionate effect on social attitudes and market trends? Probably, yes. Does the same go for bloggers?

11 comments:

glo said...

A most excellent post. I agree with you pretty much from top to bottom (especially, though, with HSN #2 and #3 as limiting my own interaction with Blogland, etc.). Women's things are generally marginalized - you don't need me to tell you that. Our literature, our contribution...grr...argh...were I as literate and witty as you, dear Scroob, I would better contribute to your most excellent post on a topic that has bothered me since my initiation into blogging by - female bloggers.

Cliff said...

All true. I read mostly female blogs, which is wierd, because as far as songwriters and novelists go, my tastes are almost exclusively male. But I prefer blogs by women, which my blogroll look a little odd.

ThePurpleOwl said...

I'm with you, Scroob. (That doesn't help to conclude your argument though, does it? Sorry -- I'm a busy woman, yadda yadda yadda.)

Also, a weird psychological quirk of mine that's (vaguely) relevant: whenever I 'discover' a new blog and the gender of its writer isn't immediately clear, I automatically assume they're female. Took me a while to realise I was doing that. HSA #1 at work in my mind, perhaps?

Anonymous said...

well, yes and yes. one thing missing is where are all the women bloggers over, say, 50? are your mothers doing it? as an Elderblogger in the u.s. was pleased to find your space through google blogsearch for "knitting and politics." thanks for the links--provided some lightness.
naomi in new york city

X said...

“Women Only Interesting to Men in Salacious Contexts!” shock.

The thing you'd probably have to consider with this is that the majority of the Internet's inhabitants are men, and as such, they are largely the tastemakers. As a result of our simpler wiring, us men will exhibit a taxis toward wherever sex is being peddled, so although the Important Women Bloggers Talking About Politics And War And Stuff exist (probably in abundance, too), their spotlight is hogged by the Women Bloggers Wearing Less Clothes Than Usual. Where the drooling male visitors go in droves, the Googlejuice is sure to follow.

One only has to look at the footlickers that hang out at 2005's "best Asian weblog", Xiaxue to realise that all you need to do to attract this key demographic is to project an intense, stereotypical feminine identity. Just as in real life, there may be women who have Important Things to talk about, but men much prefer to look at the quiet, pretty women in suggestive poses. And men, as the majority, are the tastemakers.

Much as I'd like to take the moral high ground on this one, I have to say I'm guilty of the same: "accidentally" stumbling upon blogs written by attractive female authors. However, it works the other way around too — I mostly write about Chest-Beating Manly Stuff and I detail Hot Erotic Sex With Pretty Girls, and so I end up with girls hanging around in my comments sections and on my email.

The Internet mirrors real life on this one: sex gets attention. If you started a political weblog with pictures of naked women dotted around randomly, you'd be onto a winner. Until then, the female sex bloggers are going to continue to collectively cause more hubbub than the female politics bloggers.

But "high-level discussion of Serious World Affairs"? Golf clap for that one, Robynn.

---X

ScroobiousScrivener said...

I was really expecting to get at least a few fighty-type comments over things like the women and tech, women busier than men, and especially women having wider interests than men. But here you all are, pretty much agreeing with me. I'm almost disappointed. Still, thanks for the affirmation. It's nice not to be yelled at.

Glo: "literate and witty"? I think you have me confused with Lorelai.

Cliff: that is fascinating. I read mostly women bloggers, but then I also read mostly women novelists. Unrelated: I really, really liked your "Buddhists for five-year-olds" post.

Prowl: also fascinating. And I think I do the same. Now that you've made me conscious of it, of course, is hard to be sure.

Naomi: interesting point and one I am in no way qualified to address. My mom absolutely loves tech (she's one of the tinkerers) but hasn't cottoned onto blogging. Anyway, I'm glad you turned up, and hope you found the pink knitted tank throw via my links! More knitting and politics at www.craftivism.com.

X: damn fine comment. I'm still unsure whether men are the tastemakers because there's more of 'em (not that many more, according to your own source) or because they are noisier. (Just as boys tend to dominate in class, so it's mostly at single-sex schools that girls get involved in discussions. Silly girls.) Re sex on politics blogs - see Washingtonienne!

What is a golf clap, anyway? Is that good or bad?

ScroobiousScrivener said...

*sniff* Yup. Exactly like that.

Honestly, I just don't like using female and male too much. Sounds so clinical. Plus, "women bloggers" is the form most often actually used in this debate (see eg. BlogHer); and, like mommy bloggers, it does carry a certain shading that is different to simply "female bloggers" - i.e. not just a blogger who happens to be a woman, but a blogger writing particularly from a woman's perspective.

And as a sub, I tend to follow usage* rather than strict correctness. Let the language LIVE I say!

* Except when usage is obviously horrible, eg. "incentivise".

X said...

A golf clap can either be a genuine show of appreciation or a sarcastic one. The way I used it, it was genuine; you made me laugh out loud, as I believe the internet lingo goes. Imagine the light applause when Tiger Woods chips from the rough to within two feet of the hole, and you've got the right idea.

---X

patroclus said...

Excellent post. I always assumed there were more female bloggers than male, but that male ones are taken more seriously because the male outlook on life/politics/everything is the one that has always been accepted as the 'right' one.

Scoff all you like, but almost all the world's 'authority figures' are still male. You only need to flick through one copy of the FT or the Economist to establish that. I think this is mainly because women are scared of asserting their opinion on things, because it's still a fairly new experience for us. I've lost count of the number of times I've qualified an opinion with 'I could be wrong', 'I'm no expert', or 'but that's just my opinion'. Or we get worried that by voicing an opinion we're getting above ourselves, so we resort to self-deprecation, just as you've done in the title there, Scroob.

Actually I'm delighted there are so many female bloggers, it's clearly something we like doing and we're pretty good at. And if that tips the scales of the balance of power over time, then all well and good.

NB Last August's Wired mag had a state-of-the-internet article called 'We Are The Web', which says: 'Everyone missed the party celebrating the 2002 flip-point when women first outnumbered men. Today, 52 percent of Netizens are female.' There's no source cited (tsk, Wired!) but I do like to hope that it's true.

One last thing: at the blogging conf I went to this week, a guy (there were only two female speakers out of 17) said that the main impact of blogs etc. would be that 'no one will ever have to feel lonely again'. And I really like that.

patroclus said...

Er, that should be 'women ONLINE first outnumbered men' in the Wired quote!

ScroobiousScrivener said...

Ah, thank you P. Of course this is something I'm still thinking about and keep having "yeah, I shoulda written about THAT" moments.

One of these is the sometimes subtle and sometimes completely misleading distinction between "serious" blogs on a particular topic, and social/personal blogs, which occasionally touch on big issues but are just as likely to include cat pictures and casual ramblings. Y'know. Like this one. I think possibly men are more likely to categorise, and women to range far and wide in conversations and blogs; which can perhaps lead to men not taking those opinions seriously, because they are not voiced on a "serious" blog.

And there too you get into looks-ism in blogworld; I think blogs published in a standard Blogspot/LJ template (as women's blogs are likely to be) are far more readily dismissed. After all, the author's clearly just dabbling. So basically, blogs are just as serious or not according to how they conform with typically masculine patterns of behaviour.

(I did wonder if anyone would call me out on the classically female self-deprecating title. I'm not normally shy to be opinionated, honest. It's just that this was written so sloppily and longwindedly and I found I'd not just missed my train of thought, I'd completely lost the timetable, but I had to publish anyway because I've been wanting to for so long... Ah well. Stuff got said and people commented. Yay!)