Friday, March 25, 2005

Guilty pleasures

I can't think of a way of saying this without a simple confession: I watch America's Next Top Model. Somehow, the skinny bitchfest appeals to me: pretty/bizarre clothes, teen narcissism and idiocy, voyeurism, all that. With the special bonus of seeing what new and subtle way Tyra can find to diss egomanic plastic woman Janice Dickinson each week. Anyhoo, what's missing from season 3 (now showing in the UK) is a likeable possible winner - it's been obvious for ages that it's between Eva, Yaya and (possibly) Amanda, and they're all equally awful*. I missed season 1 entirely, but t'other day I stumbled across a link to the blog of winner Elyse Sewell. Here's the surprise: it's really good. Girl has a brain (witness the start of a long, technical and highly enlightening discussion of why Japanese speakers can't differentiate between l and r sounds, for instance). And a sense of perspective. And a fabulous sense of humour.

And she talks fashion 'n shit.

Wottawin!
_____
* No, actually, I'll take stroppy little Eva over the "deep and spiritual" Yaya or Amanda any day. (And of course now that I've publicly placed my bet - I say Eva wins - it's going to be Anne, isn't it? Sigh.)

1 comment:

greg said...

On a side note, there is a new "toy" being marketed for infants. It's a noisemaker to put in his crib that supposedly contains all the sounds of the 100 most common languages in the world. The way it works is that the baby's brain would become "normalized" hearing all the sounds and later if that baby wanted to learn German or whatever, he would already have the guttural sounds in his bank of neurons.
Can you order these post-temporally? I'd like one for circa June 1975, please.