Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Natural born pedant

Watched Reign of Fire last night. (Because I'm a sucker for punishment.) Why did I find myself yelling in rage and thumping my fist repeatedly on my own thigh? Well, I could forgive the lumpen American chauvinism*, the wooden acting of cutout characters, the direlogue, the complete absence of logic. I expected these things. At least the dragons looked cool**.

No, what I could absolutely not tolerate was the prominently displayed headline (Clever and Original Exposition, here): "Europes' capital cities in flames".

How many Europes, exactly?

_____
* Why set the story in the UK at all if it's all about Yankee cavalry riding in to save the world? Just curious.
** Designed as "a cross between a snake and a hawk and a bird", according to an FX guy. That would be the rare mammalian landhawk, I guess.

No comments: