Monday, March 21, 2005

What? *still* guilty?

I have of late, and wherefore I know not, had a semi-recurring dream*. The details vary, but the overarching theme is: I'm in school (or possibly university), I have apparently not been going to any of my classes, I have absolutely no concept of what's been going on all year, and exams are approaching. I am, in the dream, relying entirely on my own textbook cramming (that's "cramming of textbooks", not "cramming in a textbook manner", but hey, it might be both) to get me through - not unlike high school physics class, where I and a certain friend completely ignored the teacher every lesson, and were allowed to get away with it as long as we weren't too disruptive because we were doing fine with self-teaching. And because the poor teacher hadn't a clue how to stop us. Oh well. Where was I?

Yes, so I dream that I am hoping to get through on my own steam, but still overwhelmed with guilt and panic over not having managed to get to class. Here's the funny** part: my main reason for cutting classes is that I have not, apparently, ever figured out what my timetable is, or where to find the classroom. This creates major dream stress. But even funnier*** is that this is Based on a True Story: for one semester of third year Garlat****, I missed almost every tut, because the class was being held in a random room in, I think, the African Studies building, and I only found it twice. I did try more often, honestly. But I always seemed to get lost somewhere in Engineering and eventually fled in terror (of the tall, hairy engineers, staring at me).

Somehow, nine years later, this has resurfaced in my dream life, decked out in a whole new architecture. I'm getting remarkably familiar with the layout of this dream school/college. It's nowhere I've ever been in my life, but by now, I know it well.

Incidentally, I've also become very familiar with a particular flat I've never lived in, that keeps cropping up in my dreams. I have dreamt I am living there with, variously: Pip; Beloved; or just myself. I know the layout. I know the building. I know the neighbourhood. But in this case, I'm pretty sure it's a pastiche of places I actually have been, with a lick of paint and a change of use.

Yes, I am bored. Yes, this is boring. I'll stop now.
_____
* Yeah, I'm blogging my dream life. What? You wanna make something of it? Yeah, I blogged about sandwiches not so long ago. Yeah, I know, it's Not Good Form. Sod off. Is my blog. You don't have to read it.
No, come back, I don't mean it. Stay, please. I'll write about... um... something interesting. In a minute. Probably.
Honestly, I never promised consistency.
** Not really
*** Marginally
**** Greek and Roman Literature and Thought. Seriously. Garlat.

No comments: