Saturday, July 16, 2005

I'm sorry, what?

In the middle of an otherwise ordinary conversation yesterday, suddenly, the following animated exchange*:

"Hey! You know those salmon bagels, right? Like, a good bagel with lots of, um, smoked salmon and cream cheese and... and... stuff?"
"Um - yes?"
"How quickly could you eat one of those?"
"...?"
"What's the fastest time you could get one of those down? If you were really hungry?"
"If I was really hungry, I guess... a minute?"
"Really?"
"Yeah. Less than a minute."
"Hmm." [sits back in chair] "I've never been able to do that. Not inside a minute."
"Does it have to be salmon?"
"No, just, you know, whatever kind of bagel you really like."
"Okay."
"I think I'm going to starve myself for a day, and then go for the minute."
"Okay."

Guys are weird.
_____
* Let's be clear: neither party was me.

9 comments:

Bill C said...

Not sure how I'll avert feelings of deep disappointment if you don't follow up with results of his attempt.

Sorry to burden you like this, but I can't help myself. I suffer from a condition called Closure Deficit Disorder, something I'm making up on the fly. So to speak. I also have a phenomenally short attention span i.e. ADD. Think about how these interact: even when I can get closure I'm onto something else before I do.

I'd wallow in self-pity but it seems like too much trouble and probably not worth the effort (Ha. I'd like to see a shrink's analysis of that statement!)

If the bagel scarfers are ill-mannered and resume their conversation somewhere other than in your hearing, could you fabricate a credible conclusion? I think that would suffice.

Thanks. In advance, of course. I'm sure you understand.
:->

Bill C said...

Uh-oh. I missed a period.
*
*
*
In the previous comment. Sorry.

Nadia said...

The footnote brought great relief. Guys are incredibly weird. What is he thinking? Of course it has to be salmon; other the whole under a minute theory is ruined.

Ruined, I tell you.

omar said...

Two comments. One, I see nothing wrong with this exchange.

Two, anyone who says they can eat a bagel in less than a minute has clearly never tried. Bagels are very dense, difficult to speed-eat.

glo said...

So grateful I'm not the only one who finds male-male communication nonsensical at times...unless you're a professional speedeater or plan to win a contest, why bother debating the issue?

Bill C said...

(bristling) "at times?"

Sarah Cate said...

You're right, RaJ. Male-male communication is just nonsensical all the time.

glo said...

Thanks, Cate. Glad you've got my back.

Bill C said...

Two words: Secret. Code.