Tuesday, July 26, 2005

These Germans are crazy

More and more, I'm seeing Obelix's point.

Take this, for example - German judgmentalism where you need it most*:

"SPIEGEL: With 'Jaws' you, Mr. Spielberg, took the fun out of bathing for millions of people. Did you never feel guilty about that?"

Um... okay. Taking this entertainment business a leetle too seriously, are we?

But then they get stuck into Tom, and it's all good:

"SPIEGEL: Do you see it as your job to recruit new followers for Scientology?

Cruise: I'm a helper."

_____
* Directed at Tom Cruise. And Steven Spielberg, though I only really care about mocking Tom.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mocking Tom Cruise is fast becoming the cultural duty of every sane and thinking person. Have you found Tom Cruise Is Nuts?

ScroobiousScrivener said...

Ooh, I have now. Must remember to look at it again at home, so I can watch that 60 Minutes interview - I want to see him overstepping the line. I do.

Gersh: I think Germans have done so much thinking about guilt that they've gone right over the edge into "We have remorse, ja, and now we know all about that, so we tell you to have remorse. Ja!" Um, not that I'm Krautophobic or anything (lawyers and in-laws, take note!). But there is this weird Teutonic tendency. Cape Town is full of young Germans who basically hop off the plane, find a historically disadvantaged boyf/girlf, and then tell everyone they see how to fix SA's problems. You can imagine how welcome they are.