Sunday, October 01, 2006

Ooh! Go here!

Further in the series of "I'm not a real blogger any more, I just post occasional links", I heartily recommend Anna's Invalidding for beginners.

I would like to point out, in the interests of random sympathy generation (despite the great rudeness of my health just now), that while I frequently do have someone on hand for "kettling, duveduty and on-demand-biscuitage", that someone has an unfortunate tendency to let illing bring out his very most unpleasant Teutonicnesses. Viz:

"Tea? Of course my love. Here. Drink it while it's hot. Now. Now. It's hot. Drink it! Drink it up! It's hot! DRINK THE DAMN TEA RIGHT NOW WOMAN!"
[while plaintive meeping from self goes along the lines of "too hot to drink! Leave it there! Go away! You're scaring me!"]

"Let me tuck you up my love. You're not warm enough. You need to sweat it out. Lie still now, I'll bundle the duvet. Stop! Stop moving! You need more blankets! All the blankets in the house! Wrapped tight around you! You're not sweating enough! STOP MOVING AND SWEAT DAMMIT!"
[plaintive meeping: "but I'm too hot! is horrid! feel awful! can't move limbs! go away you're scaring me!"]

"Biscuit? You want a biscuit? Sick people don't have biscuits. No biscuits! If you're hungry for biscuits you can't really be sick! You can have tea and sweat, that's all!"
[I must admit I generally win this one in the end. He's not *entirely* heartless.]

And now, please excuse me; the rain appears to have stopped, so I must go run. Dammit.

8 comments:

Bill C said...

Running in the rain improves your "standing" in the running crowd. With enough improvement, on any given run you might find yourself out standing in your field.

Also new I'm thinking about sweat and tea. Though of course some prefer un-sweat and...

Sorry. I'll stop moving now.

ScroobiousScrivener said...

You confuse me strangely, sir.

Running in the rain seems to lead mostly to sweat in the eyes. Take it from me. On my last two runs, the local weather-god has seen fit to enhance my motivation by opening the skies just when I'm furthest from home - so the only way to minimise wetness (ha! vain hope) is to run faster.

Bill C said...

There I go again, thinking the bits leaking from my head would make sense to someone *outside* my head.

What's worse, once explained you'd most likely go, "Ah. Okay then." That's the usual response, anyway. Sorry.

Actually, worst of all will be if none of the following explanation is even necessary, and I simply misunderstood your comment. But that's the adventure of interaction in comment space, yes?
***
I was thinking about how - in general - running is pretty much voluntary, self-inflicted pain. And how more = better, in general. And how running in the rain is typically less pleasant than regular running, therefore more "painful," therefore better and more highly esteemed. Mostly though it was all a lame lead-in so I could type something like "outstanding in one's chosen field," only more obscure.

The second part is simpler, and worse. See, if one mis-pronounces 'sweat' and says 'sweet' instead... well. That's all.

A slight twist in the mind can have terrible consequences. Or at least strange ones.

ScroobiousScrivener said...

It's not getting any better I'm afraid, Jam. I got the first part (and I do rather enjoy the outstanding in field pun!) - but the whole unsweat (en suite?) thing, still very confusing. So I think we'll just leave it at the "ah, okay" bit.

But, you know. Thanks as always for your contribution! :)

Bill C said...

*sigh* No, without illumination your treatment is incomplete:
(un)sweat and tea -> (un)sweetened tea

Here in the US it's on most restaurant menus. Though I think with sweat, not so much.

ScroobiousScrivener said...

!!! and also ???

This conversation just got much more interesting. The menus have to specify unsweetened tea? Is the tea not served au naturel, in a little pot or cup all by itself, with sugar/sweetener on the side? How utterly, utterly bizarre.

Bill C said...

Au naturel is typical for what we tea barbarians refer to as "hot" tea. Iced tea - different story. At least in these here Southeren United States, many restaurants offer a species of tea known as Sweet Tea. This differs from Ordinary tea in that it's brewed (whatever that means) and heavily sweetened. My wife and our youngest daughter - a Redneck Girl despite our best parenting efforts - understand these distinctions better than anyone else I know. Both claim to be able to taste a difference between Sweet Tea and ordinary tea with sugar added.

There you have it; more detail yet no less bizarre, I expect.

ScroobiousScrivener said...

Egad. No, that is (slightly) less bizarre, but very fascinating. One day I'll have to sample these delights for myself.