Sunday, December 09, 2007

True or false?

Which of the following statements about my past week is/are untrue? Now with added answers!!

A. Met my long lost cousin, given up for adoption at birth, who is now working on the next Bond movie. Answer: true. He made contact with the family a few years ago, but this was the first time I'd met him. He's cool. And looks like his mom.
B. Acquired knitting yarn made entirely from milk. Answer: true. It's rather nice. Soft. I'll be selling it soon.
C. Went to view a house for rent which turned out to be at least twice as big as we were expecting.
Answer: astonishingly, true. Right number of rooms, but they're enormous rooms. And an enormous garden.
D. Graced review of The Golden Compass with the sparklingly apposite headline "Narnia's polar opposite". Answer: false. Because the reviewer completely failed to see the striking differences between CS Lewis and Philip Pullman. To be fair, I believe the film has rather played down the atheist angle...
E. Rediscovered the ability of alcohol, when taken in excess, to mimic the effects of caffeine, prompting random wee-hours blogging. Answer: true, obviously.

Yes, it's a bit of a cheat making the one false answer the thing that you'd think was too boring to lie about.

3 comments:

extemporanea said...

Hmmm, interesting. I'd go with the milk yarn, except Google suggests it actually exists, and frankly it's too weird not to. The long-lost cousin is also the kind of thing that's so bizarre you probably wouldn't dare invent it.

I'm afraid, in a spirit of cynicism and vague knowledge of the London property scene, I'm going with C as the most unlikely.

greg said...

All true. And, more importantly, interesting :P

A. That's quite amazing. As I too am adopted, it does have a special resonance for me, as I can't help but wonder if some relative yet unknown might one day too grace my doorstep and add another family to my train.

C. Ooh, does that mean you're considering moving?

D. We've yet to see Northern Lights... The Golden Compass (sorry). It would have been an opening night no-brainer, except that Zara's about five fathoms deep in pre-Xmas projects and research, and really shouldn't be taking the time out that a trip to the cinema would entail. But come the 16th, we too will no doubt be Lyraphiles.

E. Ah. Which might just explain your subsequent post. And the rider. Alcohol:causing headaches the morning after, and I'm not just talking about the hangover ;)

ScroobiousScrivener said...

You're both wrong... any other guesses?