Tuesday, November 13, 2007

On to the next chapter, then, and not before time.

Having processed my initial feelings of rejection, considered my options, and inexplicably omitted to drown my sorrows in gin, it has become clear to me that that last bit might be because (a) there weren't that many sorrows, and (b) I was far too busy with business-related stuff to take time out for drinking. Conclusion: having more time to do the business stuff, and maybe even have a little fun now and then, would make me happy.

So I am turning my back on offers of replacement jobs and striding forth, once more, into Glorious Freelancedom. And entrepreneurship. Exciting! I won't be buying many new shoes any time soon, but that's okay. I'll knit myself some warm socks (from my copious yarn stash) instead.

However, I would like you all to know that I am deeply disappointed in The Blog's supportive wossname. Here's how it went in my head:

Me: Woe! I have misplaced my job!
Blog: Oh you poor thing, how awful for you. We feel just terrible.
Me: Actually you know, it's not all bad. In fact it's quite good. In fact I'm really looking forward to this much-needed change.
Blog: Goodness, you are well adjusted. We admire you so much. None the less, it must have been quite a shock. Have a cookie.
Me: Well yes, it was rather. Thanks. Don't mind if I do.

Here's how it went in reality:

Me: Woe! I have misplaced my job!
...
Blog: I'm sorry, were you talking to me?

So. It's a good thing I have real friends. This internet community thing isn't all it's cracked up to be.


[Note to self: Possibly look into more regular posting before complaining of uncaring readers. Just a thought.]

Edit: Asparagus has been cast, by well-meaning and supportive types, on my employer. No need. Despite oddities of timing and such, which possibly added a bit to the shock factor, I really haven't been ill treated, and am happy to give them the thumbs up as Good 'Uns who do genuinely try to care for their staff in a way fully in keeping with their much vaunted pro-social values. Also, the restructuring is a thing of perfect sense and a Good Move all round; also, my boss was rather more distressed than I was at the news. Awww bless.

4 comments:

extemporanea said...

aargh! I somehow managed to miss your previous post, either because my RSS reader was having a wiggins, or because it was a teeny little post and I was reading in a hurry. That sucks. I join you, from my own position of job uncertainty, in excoriating your evil employers, who clearly don't know a good thing when they see it. On the other hand, you really were working ridiculously hard, which means that (a) good riddance to all that, and (b) by incautiously "restructuring" out your function the company will obviously fall down without you, allowing you to dance gleefully in the ruins.

Moral support. Virtual tea, cookies and yarn. I shall go forth this morning and knit several morally supportive rows in your honour.

(And, if it's any consolation, Blogger ate the first version of this comment, so I've been morally supportive twice to make up for the last post).

greg said...

I think you would have had more luck with supportive comments if your job-loss entry had actually included the word 'woe'. As it was, you seemed to be pretty well-adjusted and adult about the missing employment, so there wasn't much scope for hugs and cookies. Next time, more melodrama. The internets LOVES melodrama!

For what it's worth, I truly admire the fact that you're going it alone. I don't think I could do without the blankey of full-time employed status, and it's really brave of you to hack your own way through the financial wilderness. It helps that the panga of your skills and acumen seems sharp. Have at those shrubberies!

ScroobiousScrivener said...

Ah, thank you. The Blog is herewith forgiven. (Although you both qualify as Real Friends, as does Stef - who commented on previous post - so possibly The Blog in its more abstract sense still has some proving itself to do...)

Melodrama, eh? I too love melodrama! Clearly the internet and I have the spark of a beautiful relationship after all. I shall end this footling dalliance with understatement forthwith. It was never meant to be.

I do have to point out, though, that it's not so brave as all that. First, I have regular existing sources of casual work, and will continue working at present employer on a casual basis too. Second, Beloved is earning well enough to pick up the slack if it came to that - which it won't - and we have agreed that if it did come to that - which it really won't - it is, after all, My Turn. And third, I've done the freelance thang before, and I really like it. It's much more me than this whole commitment thang.

Oh, and finally, curb your excoriations. Employer has behaved in an entirely upright fashion and I have no grudge. Just as well, since I still want to work there and all.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You are a winner of a 2007 Blog Envy Award. To see your award, please go here. You can download the image here. We hope you put it on your blog. .