Friday, November 23, 2007

Vegthulhu

Being a trendy London meedja couple* and all, we do of course get a box full of organic goodness delivered on a weekly basis. And try really hard not to end up throwing it all out a week later, but never mind. Now, I've test driven a few of these schemes, and I'm rather pleased with the one we're using now. For one thing, the produce is really good stuff, and a good mix of it, and they have a very tempting catalogue full of extras like organic free range booze. Yeah! For another, the website is well designed and easy to use. They offer nifty services like being able to blacklist certain foods - either temporarily or forever - as in: I Will Not Ever Never Eat a Tomato. Or maybe just not till next month. And for another, each box comes with a friendly newsletter that (a) identifies what's in your box choice that week, (b) provides little info-nuggets on some of the more exotic items, and (c) provides suitable seasonal recipes.

However, on occasion, these great little services sort of cancel each other out. As, for instance, this week. It's all very well being told that this week's small mixed box includes gala potatoes and white onions, but when we've said ix-nay to the spuds and onions for a while, and they substitute those with some rather more... esoteric... veg, then we don't have much clue as to what they are.

My finely honed deductive processes lead me to believe that these are probably Jerusalem artichokes. (Neither from Israel, nor anything like an artichoke; the guinea pig of the vegetable world, if you will.)



But then, what on earth is... this?


It's... it's like... an Elder Swede.

I'm sort of afraid to put it in a stoo.

_____
* rotfl etc

7 comments:

firstfallen said...

It's a mandrake, obviously. Put it in some milk and it will turn into a baby.

I would've guessed the first pic was turnips. I've never heard of Jerusalem artichokes.

ScroobiousScrivener said...

Heavens, Jo! Aren't mandrakes supposed to be shaped like... well... men? Last time I checked, the men in your life were any more tentacular than the men in mine... who've you taken up with lately?

neal whitehouse piper said...

here you go
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celeriac

enjoy it's a tasty treat :)

ScroobiousScrivener said...

Really?! Gosh. Thanks! You know, I'm sure I've had celeriac before, but never one quite so... well. I don't want to harp on the poor thing's looks, we'll make it insecure.

extemporanea said...

Good grief, of course it's an Elder Swede, which is a perfectly marvellous concept. I had a pic of tentacular potatoes, possibly Great Old Potatoes, I was saving for a non-inspired blog day, but they pale into insignificance before the Elder Swede. Ia! Ia! Possibly.

firstfallen said...

Well, Phleep's shaved off his beard and now all his tentacles are exposed.

Lol, "knob celery". Also, ewww celery. I hate celery. Loathe its very existence on this planet. Just the smell makes me want to vomit.

Bill C said...

IA!

That might be the most horrific looking vegetable I've ever seen. Thank you.