Wednesday, June 22, 2005

The binge continues

In the interests of full disclosure, I feel compelled to update the post below. As of lunchtime, thanks to a trip to my favourite hole-in-the-wall secondhand bookshop, the books I most recently bought are:

Alan Hollinghurst's The Line of Beauty
Mansfield Park
...both in elegant hardback editions;

Heidi
Heidi's Children
Good Wives
...all in lovely midcentury hardback editions;

a rather lovely illustrated book of the Old Mother Hubbard rhyme;

and a first edition of the first Lemony Snicket.

You will by now gather that I have a particular penchant for children's literature, especially in lovely midcentury hardback editions.

And I realise that I missed out a whole bundle of books from my previous report - also on Friday, from another secondhand shop, I bought: a gardening encyclopaedia (first gardening book I have ever so much as looked in!); a Bill Bryson, a lovely midcentury etc Little Men; and, er, something else I can't even remember. How embarrassing.

No wonder there's no money in my bank account.

4 comments:

Sarah Cate said...

What a fabulous collection you must have, though! In my next life I want to be your child so I can read all those lovely editions.

glo said...

I want every one of those books. (I also have a great love for children's literature!)

Especially the first edition Lemony Snicket. Have you read The Autobiography of Lemony Snicket? Funniest book I ever read - even the index made me laugh.

ScroobiousScrivener said...

It's a very small collection. It was bigger once, but... I do love it though. A beautifully made book, well written and illustrated, is satisfying on so many levels.

ScroobiousScrivener said...

Oh, and no, I've never yet read any Lemony Snicket. Well, I have now. I'm sure there will be more Snicket in my future.