Thursday, June 30, 2005

Another quick book update

No, I haven't been splurging again, and no, I'm not going to blog every book I buy or read from now on.

But since you asked:
Children of God is very good indeed: complicated, rich, satisfying, bittersweet. At the start I was worried that it was heading towards a too easy "solution"; it doesn't, although there are a few touches I'm not quite convinced of. Still, if you've read The Sparrow, you should definitely read the sequel - it's that rare thing, a sequel that actually enriches and completes your understanding of the original - and if you haven't read The Sparrow, well, what are you waiting for?

And when you're done with those two, if you liked them, try Sheri Tepper's Grass.

Also, I have finally gotten Beloved to start The Beauty Myth, so yay me. (It helps that he's trapped in bed, "at death's door", i.e. with a slight cough.)

Right, then, enough of books for a while.

4 comments:

glo said...

Between you and Cate, I will never catch up with my reading. You two should teach 'book devouring' classes.

Guys and illnesses are so funny!

ScroobiousScrivener said...

Guys, funny. Illnesses, funny. Guys+illnesses in combination - hiLARious.

greg said...

All very, very good books. *warm fuzzy memories* I'm just re-reading Beauty myself.

Bill C said...

Harrumph.

Poor guy wavers beside death's door and all the ladies do is smirk. You know, just because you're genetically more capable of enduring pain, discomfort, etc. doesn't mean yuo can make fun of-

Well, okay. When I think about it that way, fine. You can smirk.

(Whine) It's not fair. (/whine)