Thursday, March 02, 2006

A rash and foolhardy proposition

Right, so I might have mentioned this birthday thing. Naturally an event of such enormous importance to the citizenry cannot go uncelebrated. And naturally if you know me, and are in London, you will probably already have received your invitation to the champagne-soaked revelry, unless I don't like you, in which case sod off.

This is for the rest of you.

I will be available for pre-birthday drinks, probably at the Square Pig in Holborn, on the evening of Thursday 23 March. You could call this a blogmeet, except that I may well have a few work mates there too. Does that sound scary? Good. It is a Test.

If you're dedicated enough — either to me or to Johnny Depp — to attend, and if you don't all prove to be a distressingly peculiar lot, there may be a follow-up meeting. With DVDs. And cake. And pink leather sofas. Patroclus is to blame, although not for the sofas.

See what I mean about a rash and foolhardy proposition? I haven't even mentioned this plan to Beloved. I fear his wrath. Or that he'd talk some sense into me.

10 comments:

patroclus said...

Woo - more blog meetings! Well, it's in my diary, although meeting people I don't know in pubs in the centre of town is right up there in my Top Five of Things That Terrify Me Half To Death. At number one.

But I shall endeavour not to act too weird, because the DVD-cake-pink-leather-sofa extravaganza sounds brilliant.

ScroobiousScrivener said...

Yes, me too, but like so many terrifying things it has a certain dark appeal. Appropriate preparation for gothic moviedom, then.

Also, it's a really long time since I made an effort to meet new people, and the last time I did that it turned out fantastically well. So I'm quite excited, really.

omar said...

Having been one of the few (apparently?) who have never met someone in person who I first met online, I was thrilled to see this. Unfortunately, even Google maps wouldn't give me directions from NY to the Square Pig in Holborn.

This is the first time Google maps has let me down.

X said...

Google Maps didn't let me down, Phillips:

Here you go.

---X

ScroobiousScrivener said...

X-cellent work (har, har. Bear with me, it's been a long day). You'll need a better excuse now.

You know, I don't think I've ever yet made the cyberspace-meatspace transition either. But I did send a friend of mine of a blind date with someone I knew from the Interweb.

It didn't go so well.

ThePurpleOwl said...

Awwww, but London's so far awaaaaaaayyyy... I've been in the pool a lot, but I don't think I'm quite up to that sort of a swim.

*pout*

I'll go to one of my local pubs and have a drink in your honour. Urk. This is a supreme sacrifice on my part Scroob; think sticky, sticky carpet, smoke fug, suspect cleanliness at glass level, and the possibility of being hassled by local bogans (most of whom I went to school with).

On second thoughts, maybe I'll just raise a glass in your direction during the 21st celebrations...

Cheers.

omar said...

I stand corrected. All I need to do is follow the blue line. I guess I'll be there, then. See you on the 23rd.

ScroobiousScrivener said...

Can't wait. Bring the boy. We need his cuteness.

omar said...

On this monitor, the line looks green. So just in case anyone was thinking I'm color blind and/or crazy, I'm not. It was blue before, now it's green.

ScroobiousScrivener said...

I think it changes depending on the weather. Let's hope it's up to yellow by the birthday, cos I am *sick* of this cold snap.