Thursday, October 20, 2005

Get your feminist freak on*

I once read a wonderful, wonderful quote that sadly, I can't exactly remember. The gist of it was this.

A suffragette (nobody famous) was asked to explain what feminism was. She said feminists wanted everybody to be allowed to be themselves, to be independent and empowered. Her interlocutor pointed out that many men were not so lucky. "Then they should become feminists," she answered.

May I direct you to: the Carnival of Feminists. Should be about a week's worth of brilliant reading in there. Have a ball**!
_____
* No, that doesn't mean we have some man-hating content here, and if you say that again I'll bitchslap you. I pack a mean slap. Be warned.
** Nope, still not with the man-hating. Stop that, now.

5 comments:

X said...

I've been scared of feminists since that one time I held a door open for a girl and she refused to walk through it because she was "a feminist".

I considered pointing out to her that there's a difference between being a feminist and merely being difficult, but I reconsidered. She'd probably have kicked me in the eye.

***

jlanq v. - to move a heavy object a short distance by sliding; you see that box? Just jlanq it to the side for me, thanks.

---X

ScroobiousScrivener said...

What a silly girl. I love those little chivalrous gestures. It's not that I can't open my own doors, I just enjoy that kind of thoughtfulness.

However, being scared of feminists because one girl has this odd idea? That's even sillier. Glo and I must really terrify you.

BOO.

omar said...

I'm a little intimidated by the threat of bitchslapping, so I will most certainly go check out that site.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I read somewhere that Betty Friedan, the mother of feminism said that all she'd wanted was for women to have better opportunities in work, love, play, life...as far as I know, it was never meant to be a man hating, man bashing movement.

ScroobiousScrivener said...

And as a movement, it really isn't. But it's gotten so splintered now, different factions claiming that if you don't go along with their particular opinions you're not a "real" feminist... I hate that that has happened, and that in consequence of that (plus backlash) there are so many people who think that feminism = man-hating lesbian separatism! It's so sad to hear women say "Oh, I'm not a feminist" when they obviously do think in feminist ways and support feminist goals. But please, don't use the F word.