Thursday, October 06, 2005

SGS: Travel tips

In the last chapter of the Scroobious Guide to Switzerland, we take a brief look at three important, yet often neglected subjects.

First, what to pack? Swiss style is classically elegant - not that that matters, when you're dragging your tired ass up a mountain. So you'll pack what you need to go climbing, or skiing, and that's fairly straightforward: warm, rugged, etc. Gentlemen do not tend to fret over such questions, but for the ladies, a little advice.

Do not - repeat, do NOT - be tempted to pack high heels (even sensible high-heeled boots) for a mountain holiday. Yes, there is your evening's entertainment to be considered; yes, you may want to put on a little bit of ritz to go out in. But unless you are staying in a smart hotel and don't plan on venturing further than the hotel bar, you will very soon be confronted with that unfortunate fact of a mountain holiday: you're on a mountain. You can't go anywhere without walking up or down a hill. A very steep hill. You'll just have to settle for sportif chic, my dear.

This next tip you won't find anywhere else, but believe me, it's a gem: for hiking in any season but winter, bring a pashmina. No, not a real pashmina, that would be ridiculous. But something pashmina-shaped, in light cotton or similar. Here's what happens: you venture outdoors; it is cold. (Maybe not in high summer, but maybe. You're pretty high up, after all.) You bundle up in a t-shirt or vest and warm jacket, and wrap the pashmina round your neck. Cosy! You start climbing. You generate body heat. (Very quickly. Not a lot of oxygen up there, so you're working extra hard.) You unzip the jacket. Sooner or later you take off the jacket. The sun is shining. You are sweating. But: while the sun is warm, the air is cool. Your sweat chills your skin, especially when the sun disappears, or you walk under trees. Pashmina to the rescue! Drape it over your shoulders and you will be not too hot, not too cold, and as a bonus, protected from sunburn.

I think I might have to patent this special Hiker's Friend. Chaps, until David Beckham makes pashminas de rigueur for blokes, you'll just have to tough it out like you always do. While your girlfriend brags about how comfortable she is. Ah ha ha.

Two, the what-to-tip tip. Tipping is apparently not big in Switzerland. If the service is good, leave something, but don't overdo it.

And finally, a word on how not to offend your hosts. Actually, make that two words. Two words to be avoided at all costs:

Nazi gold.

5 comments:

Bill C said...

I've really enjoyed reading this Guide. I recommend frequent travel for you and your Beloved to other and even more exotic places. Turn the Guides into a series. Give your site a PayPal Donation button, and I'll contribute to the cause.

Disclaimer: my contribution might not cover your expenses. I think Omar will make up the difference, though. He's generous like that.

ScroobiousScrivener said...

Wow. Someone actually asking to be enabled to give me money. That in itself is reward enough.

(Actually, what am I saying? Perhaps you'd consider indulging my hopelessly greedy and un-subtle wish list hints as Christmas approaches.)

Anyhoo - delighted you enjoyed this. Stay tuned, there's an Appendix on the way. I'll see what I can do about extending the Guide series in future!

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

This was a wonderful guide. It reminded me so much about my Swiss pals, every word.

omar said...

I am in fact generous like that, and would most certainly cover the difference if it resulted in another travel guide by the scrivener.

(Disclaimer: The difference must be less than $10 American.)

Reading this guide makes even me want to do a little bit of traveling. That's no small feat (making me want to travel).

ScroobiousScrivener said...

Not wanting to travel? I... I don't understand. As long as I can remember, I have wanted to travel more than anything else. Only my ingrained fear and penury have prevented me - I've still seen remarkably little of the world.

It's not unusual for South Africans to stay close to home, because it's far away and the currency is not worth much and travel is really expensive. But once in London, it's a different story. Everyone here seems to have visited every continent before their 21st birthdays, and to go on European city breaks about once a month. (I'm exaggerating. But not that much.) But while family invitations have enabled me to become wonderfully familiar with Switzerland, other than that (and a few short trips around England) I've only been to Paris. And Hamburg. Both rather fleeting visits. There's so much still to see...