Thursday, October 27, 2005

Trivial pursuits

Pub quiz tonight.

[flexes brain]

May I have telepathic access to all your brains tonight? Thank you. We have a trophy to defend, you know.

Update: well, you lot just suck at this, don't you? Try harder, guys. When I ask for Lenin's real name, "John" is not what I'm after. (Vladimir Getyatopoff also won't cut it, as it turns out.) Okay? I guess I didn't make clear just how important this was. We were defending a trophy, and our reputation. And we failed. Even Norfolk & Chance* beat us - by just one point. One. Come on, if one of you had been able to recognise the intro to Alice Cooper's Poison, the humiliation would have been less complete. As it is... well, thank godlings I don't have to show my face in the office today. Is all I can say.

I appreciate the Aldous Huxley tip, though. Don't know which one of you knew he died on the same day as JFK, but that was prime trivia. Well done.

_____
* Say it quickly, with a Northern accent. Hur hur.

10 comments:

vivaldifan said...

Done! Oh, wait, I don't really know anything about anything useful. Refer only obscure music history facts to my brain then.

omar said...

Anytime. Sports trivia is my strength, though my brain may be useful in some other areas as well. Good luck!

Sarah Cate said...

Your footnotes are always brilliant, but this N&C with a northern accent bit is just beyond. I choked on my tea I was laughing (silently) so hard.

Oh, and for future trivia needs - feel free to make use of my brain. I don't use it much anymore myself, and there is a lot of otherwise useless stuff up there.

ThePurpleOwl said...

Oh, bugger - if I'd seen this post last night you probably *would've* gotten the Alice Cooper one.

I am suitably ashamed. I am not worthy.

On the other hand, now you have an enjoyable challenge ahead of you - wrestling that trophy back... right? right???

Nadia said...

*weeps in self-loathing*

I'm racked with guilt at having skivved off on my commenting duties...mostly because I have no clue what's going on.

I've missed your footnotes dearly scroob. N&C damn near killed me.

ScroobiousScrivener said...

Nadia! She's - she's aliiiiiive!

While I graciously accept all your compliments, I am honour bound to admit that Norfolk & Chance is not my joke. That is the actual name of the team. Genius, eh?

omar said...

That Aldous Huxley thing, that was all me. You're welcome.

glo said...

Completely opposed to trivia. The very mention of it turns off my brain completely. Only riddles inspire more fear.

patroclus said...

Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov, if memory serves. If this is right, can I come along next time? I love pub quizzes, me. Probably more than is strictly healthy.

ScroobiousScrivener said...

Wow, Patroclus. I'm deeply impressed and desperately want you on the team next time. Teknikly this may be against the rules, as it's a work thing, but we can always pretend you're a freelancer. We need your trivia!

Glo, I'm confused. Not liking trivia? What? I don't understand.

And Omar, thank you kindly. That was impressive, that was.