Wednesday, October 19, 2005

What is it about the number 7?

7 THINGS I CAN DO
Knit like the fabulous fibre fiend I am.
Make legendary lasagne, pecan pie and seafood risotto. But not all at the same time. Not enough dishes.
Multitask like a mofo.
Meet any deadline, no matter how ridiculous. I have my own personal time thingy. (You know, like those cylinder things the time monks have. YOU know.) Sadly, it’s deadline specific, I can’t use it to rewind time to prevent my foot entering my mouth, which it does with distressing regularity.
Spell.
Pay a compliment. I’m always amazed at how much it means to people. There is a serious lack of complimenting in our lives. Reader! Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to go make someone happy: tell them they did something well. Obviously, only if they actually did.
The bendy bits of yoga.

7 THINGS I CAN’T DO
Sew. Sewing machines, they hate me. It’s just that simple.
Cook or bake anything that requires me to measure things. Or pay much attention.
Keep foot out of mouth.
Sing.
Stick to a budget, or a diet.
The balancing bits of yoga.
Pay attention.

7 THINGS THAT ATTRACT ME SEXUALLY*
Physical details, impossible to describe, that have to do with hands, shoulders (in men) or hips (in women), lips and eyes.
Leather.
Lightly tanned skin.
Lack of self-consciousness.
A soft, low speaking voice.
Buying me presents.
Being my Beloved.

7 THINGS THAT I SAY MOST OFTEN
SO no.
It wasn’t me, I didn’t do it!
I love you gorgeous!
Seriously, are they not the cutest cats in the whole world ever?
Seriously, I have to do something about the size of me.
What do you mean I can’t have more dessert?!
Just two more minutes… (after my morning alarm goes off)

7 (er, 3, but one of them's a biggy) THINGS THAT SCARE ME**
Spiders. Not as much as they used to, though.
Steep slopes. Heights, not at all, but high gradient really freaks me out. I hate, hate, hate driving up that street in Oranjezicht – you know, the one that goes practically straight up Table Mountain – which is a bit of a problem since my very nice mother-in-law lives there.
Failing at anything.
Other than that, not much.

7 THINGS I PLAN TO DO BEFORE I DIE
Win the Booker Prize three times, because anything that twunt JM Coetzee can do, I can do better.
Travel across every continent, and every country in Europe (well, all the real ones).
Sail around the world – by which I mean, mix cocktails while the crew does the actual sailing. Note to self: buy really good sunscreen.
Jump out of a plane. With a parachute. I'm not suicidal.
Win a tango competition. Which will be tricky, since I'm a complete klutz, but nothing like a challenge.
Own pieds-a-terre in Cape Town, Paris, Zurich, London and New York – as well as my real home, a villa somewhere in the south of France.

7 PEOPLE I WANT TO DO THIS
Guyana-Gyal
Um…
The two people I’d most want to tag don’t have blogs, and I think the rest have already done it or been tagged. So hey. Take the baton if you want to, and leave a link in the comments.

Edit: Anon is now blogging, and has clearly left himself wide open for this one. Tag! You're it!

_____
* I'm not going to restrict myself to just one sex. Being boringly monogamous, and the topic not being "reasons I love my husband", it's all hypothetical anyway.
** I pinched this one from Anne Arkham, because after Johnny Depp and Cate Blanchett, I ran out of celebrity crushes.

9 comments:

Sarah Cate said...

Ooh, Cate Blanchett. I forgot about her. She's so fabulous - luminous, in fact.

I envy you the multi-tasking capability - I'm horrible at it!

ScroobiousScrivener said...

"Multitasking" is really a polite way of saying "I can't focus on any one thing for more than 3 seconds". Sometimes it's useful, sometimes not so much.

omar said...

Personally, I think Jemima looks kind of fat. :)

ThePurpleOwl said...

If you ask a person to pick a number between one and ten at random, and put pressure on to do it quickly, around 75% of people will 'randomly' pick seven. That's what's up with it.

See, my psych degree is useful for something, even if it is just useless trivia...

ScroobiousScrivener said...

Omar: so? That doesn't make her any less adorable. Surely.

Prowl: that just adds to my question, it doesn't answer it. Interesting, though.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I oh so agree about people not paying enough compliments!! I think folks today are becoming mean-spirited.

You want to do what and what and what? And here I was thinking you were this quiet gal, staying at home, knitting all the live long day :-D

I did this '7' thing some weeks ago, so can I give you the link? Take some of it with a pinch of salt :-)

http://sapodilla.blogspot.com/2005/08/tagged.html

ScroobiousScrivener said...

Not mean-spirited, just lazy or self-centred, I think. We forget to actually tell people when we think they do something great. So I'm making it my business to right the balance a little.

I truly am a quiet girl (well... very loud, but quiet living), all curled up with my cats and my knitting, but I dream big. And I think I do more than just dream, sometimes. I'll let you know how I get on with that list.

Anonymous said...

I can't multi-task,either.

ScroobiousScrivener said...

Clearly I need to use better analogies. ;-)