Thursday, October 13, 2005

To everything (turn, turn, turn...)

Every city, I believe, has its season. Just think of the cliches: “Paris in the spring.” “Autumn in New York.”* I always thought my favourite season was spring, but I’m starting to realise it depends entirely on where I am.

In Cape Town, it has to be spring. There’s a special, indescribable smell in the air about two days before all the oak trees pop their new leaves; a fresh, green smell full of energy and excitement. I have a lousy sense of smell, but somehow I’m attuned to this one; most of my friends say they don’t know what I’m talking about, and I have never detected it in any other place. But Cape Town in the spring. It’s beautiful. It’s that smell. (Well, it might also be those budding oak trees, and the flowers, and the clear blue skies, before everything gets sweaty and infested with tourists… but for me, it’s the smell that defines it.)

Johannesburg is incredible in summer. Hot, dry air, but lush gardens and green treelined streets**. (Or purple treelined streets, as the case may be. All those jacarandas.) And best of all – the afternoon thunderstorms! Glittery blue skies cloud over, the light turns ominously purple, then bang! crash! bazoom! Buckets of rain coming down in huge, warm drops. Mad lightning temper tantrums. Then it’s over, everything’s calm and fresh, and the air is electric-smelling and rosy as the sun goes down.

Zurich comes into its own in winter. It’s remarkably lovely all year round, of course – old world romance on a lake? Hard to go wrong – but Switzerland means snow, let’s face it, and when everything’s sparkling like a great big wedding cake, well, that’s just right. Isn’t it?

But much to my surprise, I’ve concluded that London is an autumn city. Since I bitch so much about winter here - the darkness of the days, the interminable greyness, the relentless bloody length of the miserable season*** - you’d think I’d be sold on spring. And spring is good. Daffodils cheer a person up quite wonderfully after all that winter.

But autumn! Autumn seems to come more naturally. After the muggy confusion of the London summer**** – public transport is a horror, it’s so humid you can’t breathe and the sunshine is liable to give way to rain at the drop of a sandal - autumn makes sense in the same way that winter does in Zurich. When the streets are misty, they take on a properly Victorian mien, like the London you imagine from books. My jogging route through Osterley Park is suddenly quieter, more romantic, richer in colour and texture. Flocks of birds swoop over the lake; in fog, the park seems that much more like a working farm (which it is) and less like a suburban oasis (which it also is). The train to town takes me past astonishing bursts of red and orange among the hedges. The evening light over the river is purple, but rather than being brooding – like the purple storm skies of Joburg – it’s velvety and comforting. In autumn, London is mysterious, and grand, and cosy, all at once.

The only problem is that winter is coming.
_____
* Not that I would know. Never crossed the Atlantic, and my only visit to Paris (so far) was in summer. Not just any summer, either. That summer.
** Joburg has been described, perhaps hyperbolically, as the world’s largest man-made forest. There’s not much natural beauty there – let’s be frank: it’s a giant minedump – so they had to invent some. There are a lot of trees. Autumn is spectacular, but over in the blink of an eye. In summer, though, the avenues are beautiful.
*** Three good months in a year is not the way it’s supposed to be. Three months bad weather is about all we need, thanks. I’m from down south. I know what a real climate is.
**** Which is rather wonderful in its own way, of course. Long warm evenings and masses of free events – outdoor movie screenings, concerts, festivals – but also an unfortunate rash of pasty, podgy poms taking their shirts off. [shudder]

11 comments:

X said...

I liked it much better when we had only three seasons: hot/wet, hot/dry, cold/dry. And the "cold" was ten degrees Celcius. Damn this English weather.

***

lshpv v. — to trick or deceive, usu. to obtain money.

---X

ScroobiousScrivener said...

Exactly. That's real weather.

I go off now, to ishpv myself a few drinks...

omar said...

We get 7 months of winter, 10 minutes of spring, 3 months where it's hot and humid and they do construction on every roadway, then two months of pre-winter.

The one good thing about pre-winter is that the tremendous amount of trees we have in this area look very nice this time of year.

patroclus said...

Too bleedin' right. Autumn is the best season of all seasons, by far. And I do like the way you used the word "mien". Doesn't get used nearly enough, in my opinion.

glo said...

I'm from idaho, so bad weather is part of my nature. In fact, the constant "good" weather in Cali really irks. i long for some storms or a few cloudy days. All this sunshine is just too annoying ;)

ScroobiousScrivener said...

Omar, that sounds a lot like London. How do you cope? I only manage by reminding myself I'm not going to be here forever.

Patroclus, hello and welcome! And thank you. Autumn is marvellous, but only in London. I'm secretly a spring/summer girl.

Glo, I have absolutely no sympathy. None. (Well - no, I do sympathise about no storms. Storms are essential for a full and happy life, I feel.)

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

We have rainy seasons, sunny seasons, mango season, sapodilla season...and for the rest of the time, water melon and birds all year round.

omar said...

I read somewhere recently that my hometown averages 199 cloudy days per year, and 105 partly cloudy days. It really is quite depressing sometimes.

I'm able to cope because I've never lived anywhere else where it's really any better. Also, I remind myself of how we don't get any earthquakes*, hurricanes, tropical storms, typhoons, tsunamis, tornados, etc. That helps me feel better.

----
* Yes, I'm aware that earthquakes are not related to weather. It still makes me feel better.

Anonymous said...

You know I'm a devoted fan, Scroob, but I take grave exception. Joburg = a giant minedump??! No natural beauty!!!? You've been away for too long!!! Joburg is most beautiful every morning just as the sun comes up --whatever the season: Winter mornings are white-blue and crisp, smoky, stark...spring is magical with all the eager green young things bursting forth -- whether there's been any rain or not -- and the air is lighter than feathers...summer mornings are simply spectacular, like champagne -- sunrise bold, bright, cool and deafening with birdsong in the *ahem* man-made jungle. And then there's the most incredible colours of sunrise in autumn...
and all this without any natural wonders. Just the air and quality of the light. And have you already forgotten late afternoons? In every season, light the colour and viscous richness of honey?
and you're right about the jacarandas...at the moment they're taking my breath away. I stop my car at least once every morning on the way to work to marvel...the purple intensity and density from the sky and onto the road is mindblowing...Jozi's been dipped into a can of breezy mauve light.
"not much natural beauty there – let’s be frank: it’s a giant minedump" my ass.
(Think it's time I figure out how to register properly and take part here...uncool to remain technopeasant.)

ScroobiousScrivener said...

Ah, I see I failed to express myself clearly. I completely agree with you, of course. The air and light are amazing. What I meant was: the location has no natural beauty in the form of landscapes - lakes? Hills? Anything? Not really. Just dirt. Dirt in minedump shapes. Therefore, millions of trees have been planted, parks cultivated and so on, in order to CREATE some beauty. So, yes. It's spectacular. It just wasn't born that way.

And now I'm homesick. Again.

Anyway. It's an easy thing to register as a commenter - you can just get a name without having to do a whole blogger profile. But of course you should really be blogging yourself. Resistance is futile!

ScroobiousScrivener said...

Demosthenes, you show-off. "Sick of laying on the beach" indeed.