Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Answers!

While I'm very tempted to let you stew a bit longer (come on people, you're not even trying!), the time has come to reveal the ordinary (far less poetic) versions of these popular songs.

1. Cars, Gary Numan
"Here in my car I feel safest of all, I can lock all my doors, it’s the only way to live..."

2. The tide is high, Blondie
"The tide is high but I'm holding on, I'm gonna be your number one"

3. And no more shall we part, Nick Cave
"And no more shall we part, it will no longer be necessary"

4. Venus as a boy, Bjork
"His wicked sense of humour suggests exciting sex"

5. You spin me round, Dead or Alive
"If I, I get your name, well I could trace your private number baby"
(I admit, I forgot the "baby" part. That's your excuse, right?)

6. Famous blue raincoat, Leonard Cohen
"It's four in the morning, the end of December. I'm writing you now just to see if you're better."

7. Children of the revolution, T-Rex
"Well you can bump and grind, if it's good for your mind"

8. Lullaby, The Cure
"On candystripe legs the spiderman comes, softly through the shadow of the evening sun"
(And really, if the arachnoid hominid didn't give it away, there's just no hope for you. None.)

9. Poisoning pigeons in the park, Tom Lehrer
"Spring is here, spring is here, life is skittles and life is beer!"
(As Cate pointed out. Bit of a special interest one, this.)

And the bonus round:
10. Weeping, Bright Blue.
"I knew a man who lived in fear; it was huge, it was angry, it was drawing near."
Which is a truly great song that you only know if you're a South African child of the 80s. Your loss, otherwise.

5 comments:

omar said...

Well now I don't feel badly for not getting any of those! I'm not sure I've heard of any of those. Except for children of the revolution. I've heard that, I think.

ThePurpleOwl said...

Oh, I missed this! (Not that I would have gotten that many...)

I have memed as promised. Sounds dirty, doesn't it?

ScroobiousScrivener said...

And there I thought I was picking such easy, mainstream songs (mostly). Blog points deducted for being hopelessly out of touch with The Readers.

virtualkathy said...

Meant to comment and say I at least recognised Weeping :)
(SA Child Of The Eighties, that's me).

ScroobiousScrivener said...

Well thank goddess someone did. I was feeling like a regte outsider here. In my own blog, nogal.

(Do excuse me. I've been reading Marita van der Vyver and Dalene Matthee. And now Maverick, which is at least in English, but peppered with lovely words like mif and rof.)