Monday, February 06, 2006

So that's why the queue is halfway out the door

[This post brought to you by the kindness of Greg and his RSS.]

Once upon a time, utilities and service companies delivered a single service. Remember? You wanted insurance, you went to an insurer. You wanted money, you went to a bank. You wanted to phone granny, you picked up the receiver and relied on whatever central monopoly you had.

But then some crazed executives dreamt up "convergence" and everyone started muscling in on everyone else's territory. My supermarket wants to sell me life cover, my satellite TV provider is pushing broadband and mobile phones, and please let's not talk about how confusing it is to be offered electricity from British Gas. I mean, it's right there in the name. They provide gas. Not electricity. That comes from Southern Electric. Oh, except they do gas too...

Now, the Post Office is one of the very guiltiest parties. I understand that they got into the banking party early, and I'm sure that's very useful to little old ladies in remote villages across the land. I know that they do forex and travel insurance, and if it weren't for those damn annoying little ants, I could forgive it.

But who had to give the bastards sales targets?

I go to the post office a lot these days. This is how I'd like the experience to unfold:
"Good morning, this is first class signed for, 96p, thanks, bye bye."

This is how it actually goes:
"Good morning, first class signed for, no I don't need another credit card, thanks, 96p, yes, here you go, no I don't need another telephone provider, thanks, yes I know there's a special offer, no thank you, PLEASE TAKE THE DAMN 96P AND MY PACKAGE AND LET ME OUT OF HERE!"

You know some people have signs on their gate saying "no circulars"? Maybe I'll start wearing a badge saying "no sales talk". Bet it'll be just as ineffective.

No comments: