Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Lifestyle Latin

Shamelessly pilfered from a Liberty Life newsletter - some helpful Latin phrases. Chat-ups and put-downs for the dead emperor in your life.

Caesar si viveret, ad rerum dareris
If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar

Ita erat quando hic adveni
It was like that when I got here

Venisne hic saepe?
Do you come here often?

Recidite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem
Stand aside, little people! I'm here on official business

Vacca foeda!
Stupid cow!

Recitavi librum atque nunc sustineo musicae
I've read the book; now I'm waiting for the musical

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis ad necem exponebantur
In the good old days, children like you were left to perish on windswept crags

Right, now who's going to give me a crash course in Latin pronunciation?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Somewhere back in the dim dark past of my blog is the latin phrase for "How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woochuck could chuck wood?" Relevance: none.

Oh, and any time you want latin pronounciation lessons, just yell. My 5 years of De Bello Gallico has to find purpose somewhere, might as well be here.