Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Still with the wanting

I dunno, I'm just in a wanty-wanty kinda mood today. Bear with me.

Do want an iPod Shuffle. Cos they're cute, and small, and can hang round my neck at gym, thus avoiding the usual pocket problem. And not as heinously expensive as the big ones. And, you know, cute. And small. (Odd thing: they've removed the witty footnote saying 'Do not chew your iPod.' I wonder why?)

Do want a degree (this week). To be specific, an MA Media Studies from Open University. Because unlike the other courses I've been checking out (in a supercasual, just-browsing-thanks, sort of way), these options actually look fun, and interesting. And because an MA in Media Studies sounds a lot more relevant than it actually is. That is, as a journalist, it looks like a groovy thing to have on my CV; no matter that I could actually do my dissertation on, forinstance, The Anima in Tim Burton. Or similar, or worse. Then again, who knows? I might come over all relevant and decide to discuss media manipulation in Bush's America. Could happen. Almost as much fun as Tim Burton. Maybe. Hey, maybe there's even a short paper on blogging waiting to be writ...

But nevermind both of these wants, because they require money, and money I am not spending yet. Nosirreebob. Also, the latter requires time, and the other thing I want is more knitting time. Is entirely possible to knit while studying - I know, I dunnit - especially if part of course prep consists of watching DVDs. As I'm sure it would, for a course on American cinema 1945-1995. Which, obviously, I would be taking. Obviously. But still, designing takes a bit more time and attention, and cannot be done while studying. Not even while movie watching, really, although I certainly try.

On which subject - designing - may I report that I am a big fat wussy. Yesterday I sat down, again, to prep my stripy pattern for submission. Having decided, properly, to offer it first to Knitty.com. (Thinking that would be, like, easier or something. I do hope Knitty eds do not find this out and smite me.) So I did the schematic, and very smart it looks too. O'course, on checking out Knitty submission guidelines, I find that 3 sizes is 2 too few, so I do some more upsizing. Right. Continuing. Do the sizes. Get Knitty pattern template and proceed to do my pattern in their format. Not too hard, but I need to convert metric to imperial all over, US spelling, etc. I get halfway through, then it's supper time.

Why am I a wussy? Because the above should really not have taken more than an hour. I think I spent almost four on it. What with all the wabbing. Every time I saw a new requirement (something simple like 'yardage of yarn used') I went wibble wibble wibble, don't know, wibble, let me go surf a bit while I calm down. Then I'd go find the yardage and tackle the next thing. Needles used (US size) - wibble wibble wibble, surf surf, etc. See? Wussy.

I'm sorry, again with the knitting, I'll stop now. (Although you should know I've got a truly gorgeous design in my head - a beaded twinset to be made for mother-in-law's upcoming 60th birthday. Oooh! Only it really wants to be made in silk, or at least cashmere, and I can't afford that. Sigh. Mercerised cotton will have to do. It's just not the same, darlings, not the same.)

No comments: