Saturday, February 12, 2005

We are everywhere, I tell you, everywhere

Had to call a plumber this morning. (Really, really hoping landlady will refund us for this super-expensive experience - but of course it had to happen while she's off on holiday, so we can't be sure.) Got the name off our caretaker's door: Atlantic Plumbing. (Oddly, they claim to have never visited this building before.) I didn't particularly think about the name until I heard the Saffer accent on the phone. Ah, I thought: good Cape Town seuntjie, moved to London and just kept his business name. After all, it keeps him near the top in the Yellow Pages. But you know how long he's been over here? Ten years. Ten whole years. Hasn't lost the accent, hasn't changed the name. Fascinating.

Must stop thinking about the plumber now. My bank manager is crying. (In my head. The little bank manager in my head. How many years has it been since anybody had ever actually seen or spoken to their bank manager? Do you even have one anymore? But still, there he is in my head, weeping behind his little grey desk.)

No comments: