Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Two questions

Do 'jury consultants', as in Runaway Jury, actually exist? Are lawyers actually allowed to hire people whose job it is, specifically, to help them get the most manipulable jury possible, and then manipulate them? Does this actually happen?

Three question marks there, but just the one question. Question number two: Are fat people really 'tightfisted and unsympathetic', as evil jury consultant Gene Hackman alleges? And what does that make me? Obviously this is not a scientific, rational question here, more a 'how do you see fat people' question.

And another question, just for fun. If you had a laser megaphone (I have no idea what these are actually called; it's a megaphone that allows you to project your voice with pinpoint accuracy over long distances, so your target will hear you, but their lunch companion won't - yes, these things actually exist) - if you had one, what would you use it for? Personally, I'm all in favour of sitting in a high place, startling faraway victims with 'Should you really be wearing that?' Or, 'Your child is annoying. Make it stop.' This is probably why I will never be allowed (by fate) to have one. Ooh, and you could use it for Karma Calls. 'That pigeon crapped on you because you were thinking of cheating on your boyfriend.' Cool!

Mean? Moi?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd use my laser megaphone to stalk smokers smoking in non-smoking areas. "You're going to die" is a good one, but a little non-specific. "I've got a laser-sighted rifle to go with this megaphone and I'm looking at you through my scope. I can kill you with a single shot and I'm far away enough that I'll be long gone by the time the police get here. I can put you out of future years of misery as your lungs rot right now, or you can give up, put that cigarette out, and live not only past this moment but for many more years than you otherwise would" would probably have more of an effect.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and as for jury consultants, I refer you to the Jackson trial.