Monday, August 29, 2005

Just till I can patch my brain back together

I'm not supposed to be here. I'm supposed to be working. Working on all kinds of things. But I've completely lost my ability to concentrate. Too many things in my head at once. Too many. And it's hot. It's not supposed to be hot. It's Notting Hill carnival day. It's always crappy weather at carnival. That's the rules. Come carnival, summer's over. Except this year, apparently, not. Last week and this week seem to have traded places. It was supposed to be summer last week, autumn this. Last week was already autumn. Everybody was saying so. But summer's laughing at us now, coming back for one last sweaty gasp and making us all kick ourselves for not getting that leg wax.

Well, just the girls among us, anyway.

So here's what I was supposed to do this weekend:

1. Sudden Urgent Job no 1 (estimated duration: one day)
2. Sudden Urgent Job no 2 (estimated duration: two to three days)
3. Secret personal project (estimated duration: one month, but broken up into bite-sized chunks)
4. Visit Kew Gardens (prearranged date with Esteemed Father)
5. Go to ballet (Matthew Bourne's Highland Fling; free tickets to a sellout performance like this are not to be scorned, no matter how many demands there may be on my time)
6. Clean the house, child, it's disGUSting!

Here's what I actually did:
1. Um, maybe half of it.
2. Um, maybe 5%.*
3. Two bite-sized chunks. Many more to go.
4. Done. Admired Chihuly. Very pretty. But it took a lot more out of my day than intended because: EF took me to the garden centre to stock up on winter plants and spring bulbs. And then I had to get the plants into the ground. So much for Friday.
5. Done. Very entertaining. But it took a lot more out of my day than intended because: Sunday train schedule + catching up with old friend + unexpected good weather = riverside Pimms, leaving early, home late.
6. Um, no.

And also 7: trying, and trying, and trying again to get my damn Bluetooth dongle to work.

It doesn't. Well, it works fine on Beloved's iMac, but not on my PC. Don't say anything, you Mac fiends, please.

And now I'm sitting here, having been fiddling at my keyboard all day, utterly unable to hold my two brain cells together for more than five minutes at a time. Which is rather impeding my progress. Honestly, you wouldn't believe how long it took me just to type this post.

Better get back to it, then. [girds loins]

ohdeargoddessMUSTi?
_____
* In my defence, they're not all *that* urgent. I mean, I'll get them done by the deadline I agreed to. Really I will. Just, well, not *early*.

5 comments:

Bill C said...

Your list reminds me of something Calvin* once said: "God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things.
Right now I am so far behind I will never die."

* Watterson's, not the Protestant Reformation's. Although I suppose J. C. might have said something similar... no. Probably not.

glo said...

An exhausting weekend of not doing what you planned...my favorite kind.

omar said...

(Mac fiend biting lip, trying to keep quiet)

I noticed a pattern of how you completed the entertaining parts of the things to do list, but the ones that sounded more important got 50%, 5%, and two bites done.

Then again, I'm no time management expert.

Macs rule!

ScroobiousScrivener said...

Jam: I've often wondered why Bill named his characters thus. Calvin is so very un-Calvinist, and as for Hobbes - well, frankly I have no idea what Hobbesian philosophy is, so that might really be spot on. I should investigate.

Glo: quite. It was remarkably good and much better than the more relaxed weekends I've had lately. Do wish I didn't have *quite* so much work to do, though...

Omar: more important is definitely not = more interesting. Except for the Special Secret Project. But that's secret.

Nadia said...

I just got the Calvin and Hobbes connection. D'oh.

I had a test on the French Revolution this morning. Hobbes was one of the historical figures whose lifetime accomplishments we were supposed to write out in detail.

Which explains why I know nothing of him, except that he believed that only the establishment of an absolute sovereign could bring peace out of chaos.

Yeah, I copied that out of the textbook. Just for you, scroob.