Thursday, April 14, 2005

I almost forgot

That "yay shopping!" post has an entirely less sunny cousin, who got left out of the fun for reasons of work. (Bloody work getting in the way of blogging, what's that about?)

Shopping cousin says: what is with the 1989 flashback? Seriously. I remember 1989, I was 13, I had a truly frightening wardrobe and all sorts of "creative" style ideas. About two years later I was already wise enough to look back in horror: tiered flouncy skirts? About the least flattering thing a chunky girl could wear. All those Indian scarves? Really not the best thing to tie around my waist, considering (hm, bulk and pattern, exactly what we want to highlight midriff flab). And as for colours - pink and turquoise; was that really necessary*? And now suddenly - they're back! Apparently it wasn't just my fevered early teen imagination. People actually wore this stuff. I'm scared to look around for fear of seeing knee-length denim cutoffs with braces. Worn with T-shirts knotted above the waist. And side ponytails. With scrunchies.

I do realise I'm not the most qualified person to tackle this subject. There are better bloggers** waving the flag of Common Fashion Sense. But when things get this out of control, I feel the need to raise a little consciousness here.

_____
* On my latest knit project it is. Ahem. Of course that's different, because, er, the textures make it all okay. Probably.
** How much do we want one of those T-shirts? ... Well, not that much, not being a T-shirt person, really. And it is rather a bright orange. But still.

No comments: