Sunday, April 24, 2005

London: full of everywhere else

Yesterday - St George's Day; a typically drizzly London day, which I thought was marvellously apt - Beloved and I found ourselves, quite by accident, enjoying a typically London afternoon. We saw a movie that, while not actually English, was set in England and about Englishers - oops, one Scot and a bunch of Englishers. It was lovely. It had Johnny Depp*. The cinema was full of Forruners.

We had a meal in a Forrun restaurant, that had managed to adapt itself to English tastes by serving lamb with chips instead of saffron rice, and adding omelettes, fried fish etc to the menu, beside the more exotic dishes.

We took a turn around the National Portrait Gallery to look at pictures of a Mexican**.

We had planned to go see an actual English film (full of sex; Agnes Catherine Poirier must consider her point made), but after the fluffy dogs and fairies of Finding Neverland, 9 Songs just seemed far too raw for comfort. So we went home. (And watched the director's cut of Donnie Darko, which isn't any easier to figure out.)
_____
* Yes, it went off circuit ages ago, but luckily we have the Prince Charles Cinema to catch us up on the good things we miss.
** Frida Kahlo strikes me as amazingly in control of her image. Most of the photos looked exactly like her own self-portraits. She didn't change her facial expression in a single one; only in the later pictures did she relax a little and allow the photographers to pose her at all differently to that classic, straight on bust. Intriguing.

2 comments:

Sarah Cate said...

Did you cry, though? In my old age I'm turning into a real waterworks - the tears first appeared as they were flying kites, and it was all downhill from there. By the time the credits rolled I had been reduced to a sobbing, quivering mass of cinema-induced emotion.

ScroobiousScrivener said...

I did not. Seems everyone else in the cinema did, but apparently I just wasn't having a teary day. Remind me to explain my Tear Quota Theory sometime.

But I have also experienced increasing patheticness as the years roll by - used to be I never cried at a movie. Now, I can cry at the ads.