Thursday, April 14, 2005

Post-post-materialism

I hate shopping. Except when it goes well. And every now and then a bargain literally* throws itself at you.

Today, Beloved and I are the happy recipients of an enormous widescreen TV, being disposed of at a low low price by a neighbour, heading back to Italy. We were sorely tempted to snap up more of his furniture, but sadly, concluded that we really couldn’t squeeze a double futon into our flat, even as a temporary measure. Alas.

And, because Venus is in Aries and hence I am positively dutybound to Refresh my Look**, I went in search of a light summer top. I didn’t search very far – just across the road, in fact. And I found a perfectly pretty, suitable and cheap top, and skirt, for good measure. (To cost of skirt must unfortunately be added cost of self-tan. Alas, again.)

So these were good consumer experiences, and moreover, we may have found a home***. Not a bad week for spending money.

_____
* Not really. I am not generally – indeed, ever - besieged by animated sale goods. I apologise for this iniquitous abuse of the language.
** Also because the weather is slowly improving and I realised with alarm that I have precious little to wear that still fits me, once baggy jerseys are no longer an option; clearly slimming is called for, but it may not happen quickly enough.
*** Not the “spacious, sunny” etc one; the problem there turned out to be that while the flat was part of a previously spacious house, therefore had large rooms and high ceilings, the hallway had been divided neatly in two and the bathroom – while not actually in a cupboard - was a tad cramped. Meaning, for a “spacious” flat, it was surprisingly poky. Still, coulda been a contender, had Beloved (venturing intrepidly – can intrepid be made an adverb? Hm - into deepest Brentford) not found a properly spacious flat, with large garden, and cat-friendly landlady. I shall report back after a private viewing.

1 comment:

greg said...

Brentford? In Essex? As in, in the opposite direction to place of employment by a sizeable fraction of the width of the UK? Not that I'm surprised that you may have found a nice, affordable place in Essex (he says smugly), but I thought you were adamant about being close to the West side of civilisation.

No. Not in Essex at all. Silly me. In fact, quite nicely situated, it seems. *crosses fingers* Hope it's as good as you'd like.